Another update on vB.com - CMS?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Nick, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yes, it is easy to change the layout by using grids and layouts.

You can have up to four columns and adjust the size of each. For example, you can have three columns with the following widths: 50/25/25 or have them all the same size at: 33/33/33.

It's very flexible, and you are in no way bound to using the layout that you see on vBulletin.com.

2. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Thanks, Nick!

I haven't been reading the vB threads, so I didn't see that posted before. :)

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I don't think it has been posted. I just told you. :D

4. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

5. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
  6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

You mean, can different pages have different layouts? If so, yes.

7. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I'm thinking internal to the site.

One might have the main CMS page /content.php

And for example want to have a page that is an index to a library /library.php that leverages the abilities of the CMS tool to create.

8. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Multiple layouts? You mean have a 2 column pages in one section and 3 column pages in other sections? And have different widgets shown on individual pages depending on the context?

Then yes.

You can create multiple different grids to use. A grid can include a sub-header, sub-footer, left or right sidebar and up to 4 content columns. You determine the width of the sidebar. If you know YUI Grid CSS, then you can create a basic grid template and "flatten" it to customize the HTML code directly like any other template.

Once you have your various grids made, you would create layouts. Layouts allow you to drag and drop widgets into the various content areas within your grid so you can build custom pages.

Finally, you would assign your layouts to the different sections you created. So each section can have its own unique layout. For each section, you can assigned a specific style, page layout, number of records per page, content layout, and display order. If you decide you don't like the layout assigned to a section, then simply change it and assign another one, the section will update automatically.

Ultimately, everything becomes a template so they can be edited in the Style Manager but there are nice tools in the CMS so people without HTML skills can create grids and layouts as well.

2 people like this.