Alternate title for Administrator?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Nov 18, 2009.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I started using that title when I owned What Pisses You Off?. I started the site in 1998 and sold it in 2005. I also used that title for a short time on the Visual Basic forum I owned while some of the staff members were getting too big of ego's and thought they could overrule me on certain guidelines.

2. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

I can see staff making constructive statements about how to run a forum.They should however understand that the owner is the one who make the decisions in running it.They have to understand that they are there to SUPPORT the owner in running the forum.If they can not.Then they should resign.

I went to the forum HERE.I find this post with the quote in it.Something so many forum owner and moderators fail on.To be moderating from OUTSIDE the dispuatious thread.That is the Moderator is not involved in the heated discussions/Debates.

I see this failure over and over in forums.

It really helps to have a moderator who is not involved in the thread debate.To be the one who make a needed moderating decision in that thread.

I have read of furums being torn apart because of the failure of being fair and unbiased.At least in a thread they are not involved in.Members would get angry when the Moderator who are involved in the arguments.Make questionable moderating decisions.That should have been handled by another Mod.

That is why every forum should have a hidden Moderator forum in it.To allow a mod to ask another mod to investigate a thread.To make it possible in a simple round table discussion.To discuss problem some members.Who are in the "grey area".Not a big rule breaker.But continually testing them.The irritating ones.Who hurts the forums over all.With their negative presence.

I am getting off topic.Got to stop.

3. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I actually demoted a mod shortly after I posted that. I had just added 2 more mods and demoted the one that caused me to post that. It was also discussed in the mod forum and he was warned about it.

4. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Got to be on top of things in the forums we own.

:yes:

5. Shawn

Shawn Newcomer

First Name:
    Shawn
    On my admin forum, I have "Forum Owner" which is myself and the co-owner of my forum network. Then I have 1 Community Manager which is an alternate name for Admin. I find that Community Manager is a lot more friendly and more professional IMO :) The thing is though, I only have 1 Community Manager at a time :D

6. Arianna

Arianna Regular Member

First Name:
    Stacey
    I use Goddess since my site conerns a high fantasy game where godesses rule. I have no idea what any guy promoted to admin will think rofl,

7. Creaky

Creaky Regular Member

Never thought of changing the title, will have to come up with something new now.

8. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    Depending on the forum subject some are pretty cute. I joined a cat forum and my 'newbie' title is pooper scooper. I've seen kitty maid, queen, king, and bully so far.

9. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

I changed mine to Forum Manager.

10. Explicit Design

Explicit Design Regular Member

First Name:
    Dan
    I have my default set as 'Administrizzy' but I use 'Lord High Ruler of the Universe' in <marquee> and <font color="red"> tags.

Don't know what you think though :/

11. Humor4Guys

Humor4Guys Regular Member

First Name:
    Dominic
    The only title I've ever used other than Admin on my site was Managing Editor. That was for a "press" site, so it made sense. Otherwise I have always just kept the Administrator title.

12. The General

The General Regular Member

First Name:
    Kendall
    Since I plan on turning my site into a business after I get my degree, and I already run it as so, I refer to myself as the CEO, while the other admins are just Administrators

13. dojo

dojo Regular Member

I use administrator only. Wouldn't bother with this, but people do need to know who's in charge, so that they're not wasting time trying to reach the 'staff'.

14. Ramses

Ramses Regular Member

Same here, although I don't like to give me a title being something more special then the regular forum user it is just more user friendly for the average user to find the people in charge.

15. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

I'm just Founder on mine. Unimaginitive I know.

16. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Regular Member

First Name:
    Timothy
    I just use Administrator, but "The Overlord" sounds like a better title for authority.

17. gallitin

gallitin Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I've always used "Founder" as I'm the only admin on my boards. Any other staff are moderators.