Worthy of vB?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Graeme, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Graeme

Graeme Newcomer

First Name:
    Graeme
    My forum is currently running on phpBB. I would prefer the vB software.

It is a new forum and has only 52 members and about 1300 posts.

Do you think it would be wise to purchase a vB licence now, or to wait until I am certain the forum will continue to exist?

Thanks,

Graeme

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

It might be wise to run your posts through a spellchecker if you're a forum admin ;)

That aside:
    I've always found vBulletin to be the more professional software, so it really depends on your market, or what you're going for. Maybe you won't ever need to upgrade to vB.

Can you justify the cost to yourself? A $100 (minimum) investment is nothing to sneeze at, and forums, typically aren't get rich quick ideas. In fact, you'll find them quite dramatic, and you'll find people picky and complaining about anything (including how many ads you have up).

Honestly, with so few members, you may want to wait, but if you can justify the cost, then by all means, go for it. Now is the ideal time to buy an owned license, since a few of the grey areas have been cleared up by IB

3. Ohn03s

Ohn03s Novice

Please note that you can remove the license to a other Forum if you wish. You just have to remove the old one :P

4. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I would wait it out, for awhile, until you feel that you're forum will succeed tremendously. Otherwise, you may regret spending 200 dollars.

5. Graeme

Graeme Newcomer

First Name:
    Graeme
    Thanks for your advice - I think I'll wait a while before leasing a vB licence.

Original post edited to correct spelling.

6. Tom

Tom Regular Member

You'd be better off settling with an owned license. Then, you wouldn't have to pay renewal and update fees.

7. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Get me one of these please :D

8. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Not to mention the owned license has resale value: if you decide you no longer want it, you can sell it.

9. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    vBulletin Is A Worthy Forum Software. Should Wait It Out Though

10. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

To me, it's more just a question of whether you want to use vBulletin, and how easy it is to get the money for the license. There's no point where a forum is too small to wisely switch to a good piece of software (whether vBulletin, Invision, etc), and using a paid type of software may even help you get more members than otherwise.

11. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

It may not be as simple as 'what makes sense' from a logical point of view (like when to go from a shared server to dedicated).

If you have a specific clear vision of what you want your forum to be then you may want to go to vB now. The look and feel of a site, depending on the situation, can alter the number of members joining and who those members are. Certain types of people are drawn to certain things.

That also applies to forum functionality. For example I will not be a member of forum for very long at all if there is not thread preview feature, email notification for subscribed threads or PMs, or even if the forum is set up to lock posts so they cannot be edited after a period of time. That last one is why my forum exists today, it was a splinter group from a forum that started locking threads which caused havoc. Everyone was behaving but long term projects (posts) could not be updated.

2 people like this.
  12. Yoshi

Yoshi Regular Member

I'd never run a forum, knowing in my mind that I'd convert in the future. It might hold me back from making the forum as good as I can at the start, putting it off knowing I'll just make the changes when I change the software.

I also wouldn't want to risk building up lots of members and possibly lose some when/if they don't like the software change. Not forgetting that user passwords wont be converted which might lose a couple of members who cna't be bothered to reset their password.

I'd just use the one I like best right from the start, or as near to the beginning as I can.

13. cylon08

cylon08 Newcomer

First Name:
    Simon
    I was once in your position. Back then I also used phpBB. I don't remember the exact member or post numbers but they were around or even below your numbers once I decided to take the big step and convert to a paid forum software.

I can tell you that I haven't looked back at all. Instead I almost regret that I didn't go with a paid forum software from the start.

If you feel that the forum is going well and that you have at least a few active members that are posting regularly I think you should do it. Just note that forums are far from money-making machines. I am still losing money on my forum - the costs are higher than the income.

Personally I went with IP.Board instead of vBulletin. I think IP.Board is better and cheaper than vBulletin (you only need to pay $149 for a lifetime license).

Good Luck!

14. kev

kev Regular Member

I recommend that you wait until your forum is at least 1 year old, and then go with vbulletin.

The majority of forums close before they turn 1 year old. So the one year point is a make or break line. If you can make it that far, then go ahead and convert to VB.

15. The Voice

The Voice Addict

First Name:
    Anisha
    I think its worth it IMO. I kinda like it :)

16. kneel

kneel Regular Member

there ya go. Just cough up the 180 bucks or get a buddy to co-admin with you and do it. VB is the best by far...and it sounds like you got a start already..

I say go for it...you wont be sorry.