Which forum software's support is most best?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Tom, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Tom

Tom Regular Member

In your opinion, which forum software's support is the best?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

IP.Board's is satisfactory, MyBB's is good, and vBulletin's is excellent. I don't have any complaints with any of them.

3. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

vBulletin has the best support in my opinion, although I wouldn't say there are too many pieces of forum software with bad support. Think about it, the forums allow people to compare the software with competitors, they've still not censored all the complaining (like a lot of hosting companies would in the same situation), and the staff are almost on a first name basis with people (to be fair, this is a great thing about most forum software support forums now). You don't say, have a problem with a TV, or a Microsoft Windows operating system, or a Mac, or a games console and end up getting to talk to the developers who actually make the software on a support forum, or any of the managing staff. But you do with vBulletin.

4. Shawn

Shawn Newcomer

First Name:
    Shawn
    MyBB has some of the worst support I have ever seen in my life. vBulletin is good, SMF was okay. IP.Board wasn't all that good. PhpBB was fine. MyBB is great software but they need to go to customer service school, lol.

5. torque

torque Regular Member

I would have to say vBulletin I have used a number of different software and Wayne and Steve and the rest of the staff in the support section are fantastic.

6. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

SMF is probably the best out of the free solutions, although Joomla's is better overall, that may not carry over to Fireboard.

7. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

=\ I think MyBB support is really good.

It depends on the experiences we've all been through these different software, can't really narrow to one...

8. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

Care to explain?

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I've always found vBulletin's support to be superb, along with MyBB's. IP.Board's is quite excellent, as well... but I wouldn't rate them as highly as the two mentioned above.

10. kev

kev Regular Member

I actually laughed out loud (lol) when I saw that. SMF support is "ok" at best. I have posted several questions in the smf support forum and they were never answered.

Joomla is worse then smf. Out of all of the CMSs and forum software I have ever used, the joomla support forums are probably the worst I have ever seen. When looking for answers to a question, one thread there was an answer in another thread, then that thread linked to another thread, that linked to another thread - which finally went back to the first thread I looked at. So all of those theads were just interlinked with no real solution provided.

And joomla has some heavy handed admins that dont know how to merge threads.

My opinion - vbulletin offers good support, but could be better. I have a thread at vbulletin.com that is several months old and has yet to be answered. And the support techs deny its even possible or it even happens. Several other people are reporting the same problem and jelsoft is turning a blind eye to it.

No companies support is going to be "perfect", but I rank VB as one of the best.

11. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Just by being a guest on vBulletin.org and vBulletin.com, their support seems to be premium. Then I would say Invision Power Board. Next in line would be MyBB and phpBB. SMF and the other scripts I haven't mentioned are just, blegh.

12. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've had support threads go unanswered with every forum software package I've used, but the ones that have a real support system (i.e., someone whose job it is to give support) have always come through eventually with an answer.

13. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

Not that I doubt you, but link them please?

14. BabyDesigner

BabyDesigner Adept

First Name:
    Meg
    I think VBulletin is absolutely excellent. Before VBulletin I was using forumotion (phpbb) and I have to say their support and service was absolutely horrible!

15. kev

kev Regular Member

After installing joomla, the Broken Registration Link stops working. Posted Oct 18, 2006 a solution was never provided. Its not my thread but I was having the same problem. - forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=429&t=199514

Same issue as above, no solution provided. Posted Oct 18, 2006. The last post in the thread is nothing but a link with no details - forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&t=198527

That second one is a classic example of my description of links in the joomla forum running people in circles.

Classic example of useless joomla support. A moderator takes the time to move the thread to a different section, but does not help with the question or finding a solution. Posted on Oct 18, 2006 and no solution was ever provided. forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=124123

16. David

David Regular Member

Best would probably be in the eye of the beholder :D

I've had fantastic support conversations with both the fine people at IPB and vBulletin at a equal level. Other than that, its been so long since I've used any other forum software, I couldn't tell you how their support was.

17. Kakeru

Kakeru Addict

IPB support has always gone out of their way to help. They may not be 24/7, but they offer far more services.

18. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

Err, I was referring to unsolved SMF issues, as quoted. Joomla is a great deal larger - not that that excuses their coding.

19. kev

kev Regular Member

Google indexing "welcome guest" instead of the thread title or content. Posted on January 20, 2009, no solution ever provided - simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=287200.0

Newsletter timing out. Posted on January 03, 2009, no solution ever provided. Another member reported the same problem, but no solution. simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=283931.0

Recaptcha for smf problems, I finally figured out the solution myself. But recaptcha should be a standard feature, not an add-on - simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=213535.0

Authentication failed when removing or installing packages, one reply from a support tech but no solution ever provided. Posted on December 09, 2008 - simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=279538.0

20. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

Thanks...

...you turned off guest access to content and are complaining about the result?