What happened to the AA love?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Anonymous, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Novice

There have been quite a few nasty words tossed around recently in some posts. When somebody gets called out they say it was a joke. Is it really? How many times does somebody make a joke before it isn't a joke anymore? Some people are boardering on rude. Am I alone on this? What's the best way to handle?

2. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Just the way things are. The larger a community gets the more likely someone is going to see posts as pixels on the screen and less like the expressions of the people behind the keyboard. The relative anonymity of the Internet makes people think they can say and do what ever they like without consequences.

3. tech

tech Regular Member

Ive not seen any posts with rude comments, then again i dont read alot of threads, just ones that interest me..

4. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

I haven't seen topics with rude comments either.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

6. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

yikes, the language can certainly get colorful on this site that's for sure. ;)

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yeah, things are getting heated at times around here. How do you guys suggest we handle it? Should all crude commentary be censored? Or should it be left up?

I don't want to take the 'wrong' course of action. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

8. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I think it should be left up. We're all adults, and human, and we can get (over)heated at times (some more than others). It's human nature.

That said, I do think that more explicit language such as F*** and related explicitry should be ***ed out. Some of it is just really unnecessary.

9. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

The love is still there you just have to dig a little deeper to find it. That said, if you look for love on the internet you already have far bigger problems than attempting to find or accumulate love. ;)

10. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    This is something I could not do. I'd never censor language on my forums, sorry. :(

11. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    Yes, I have seen this. FMB I hadn't seen the thread that you talked about but this one came to my mind: http://www.adminaddict.net/forum/suggestions-feedback/pms-what-heck-4236/.

I don't think that these types of personal attacks need to be censored, but if they get out of hand they are going to cost AA members. People don't come here to be made fun of or be "attacked" for their opinion. "Older" members (such as members who are part of this anonymos forum) should act as role models for newer members.

Is it out of line for an administrator to contact people that make blatantly rude comments (left to the digression of the admin) and let them know that as a community we do not support that type of conversation? Or, should we specifically point out in the thread that we don't care for the rudeness? Thoughts?

HTH,
    RR

12. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

TBH, thinking about it, everyone on this forum is an admin, admins are leaders, and with leadership skills you can put ego and hothead in there, specially when other people have been doing this for long. I'm not saying EVERY Admin is an egotistic hothead, but I am saying that some might be. Then it comes the preference of each forum software and of course the personal attacks.

On our forums we=Admins
    On this forum we=Users

And as users, we act the same as a normal user, yet we try keep in mind that we are admins of other sites and what we are about to do/were about to do won't be suitable for our sites so why would it be to others. The thread you linked, RR it's a very good 'example' that even though we are admins, when it comes down to this forum, we're just regular users with just a hint of admin experience.

The convo will get heated because of the difference on opinion, some here try to push their opinion to everyone and in their mind is a 'fact'. Different admins, different users, different needs, just a unique admin world.

13. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    I think that sums it up quite nicely FMB. Even though somebody may be an admin on their own forum (and therefore feel that their behavior is appropriate because they own the forum) it doesn't mean that the same behavior is appropriate on AA (in their role as a user.)

Is there a way that AA can get this message accross to users (new and old)? Hopefully that helps? :shrug:

14. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I can understand that some do not. However, this forum is open to the internet, where little ones whose parents don't monitor where they go, will undoubtedly come across it.

I would think that as adults - and professionals? - we can have a grownup conversation without resorting to the kind of language that kids shouldn't read.

Just my opinion.

15. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Whilst not agreeing with bad language in itself, that's not a valid reason not to use it.

It's not my job to worry about the parenting of someone else's kids. It's for parents to take responsibility for what their children see on the internet, not for everyone on every public forum to moderate their language just in case children are reading.

16. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I agree with Mark. The subject-matter of this site isn't really geared towards children, so it isn't my greatest concern. If this was a Disney forum, however, then all discussion would be required to be kept family-friendly. (That's the rule on two of my other forums, as they are pet-related).

17. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Nick, you're right. It's subject matter driven. I run Disney forums (totally "clean") and other forums (GlamRockTalk.com, for example) that are not so 'family friendly'. But, I wouldn't expect for a parent to have their 5 year old on their lap as they show them old hair band pictures with booze and scantily-clad women or Guns N' Roses videos.

18. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

ummmm, I never said that this site is geared towards children. I've also never asked that the bad language be censored, regardless of the fact that I HATE seeing the F*** word, and will usually leave not only the thread, but the site, to avoid it. .

However, you did ask for my opinion and I gave it. :)
    I suggested that one word, and one word only be sensored, for 1 reason only - it is a nasty, offensive word - not only to me, but I'm sure to many, and it is used unnecessarily on this site, way too much.

That's all I'll say about it.

19. Nick

Nick Regular Member

My opinion is that if that word is used, the context surrounding it probably isn't very pleasant either, so the post usually ends up being removed anyways. So although technically, the word itself isn't censored, very rarely (if ever) will it be kept around.

I'm not trying to pick on her or point her out for any reason other than to demonstrate what I just mentioned: FMB's post used the F***** word, and it was removed. But not for the use of that word; it was removed because the post was a personal attack against another member.

20. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

:( Gomen, I got a bit hotheaded.

But censoring a word on an admin forum is as silly as telling a dog not to bark. [imo]