What does your family think of your forum work?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

What does your family think of your forum work? Are they generally supportive or do they resent the time you spend online? Or do they not understand what you do at all?

2. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

My family is generally accepting of what I do, from forums to websites to gaming. I haven't, and don't plan on, doing anything that's harmful or illegal, so they don't care. I don't think they fully understand, but they know when I'm into something, and back me up on it.

I've gotta love them for it. :)

3. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

My wife was not as accepting before as she is now. She sees that I'm serious about it (since I have my own business setup and my main site is over a year old now) and respects what I need to get done and the time I need to spend online to do it.

My daughters love it! :D

I generally go to my daughters for feedback on how I should do things or what they think of a new graphic or look of a page, etc. Funny enough, Walt Disney always valued the opinions and comments of children because he said that there was no lying in them and they'd tell it like it is! And, he also had two daughters. So, I have a couple of things in common with Mr Disney ;)

4. DarkWarriorXII

DarkWarriorXII Addict

First Name:
    Dave
    It really doesn't come up a lot in our house. They know I'm on the computer a lot, but I don't think they realize the work that comes with the forums. Every now and then when it does come up and I say my one site is up to X amount of members they always get surprised. :P That's always funny.

5. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

As long as it pays the bills and keeps food on the table, my family is supportive of the work that I do. They understand it is a job like any other and its a good paying job. Without it they wouldn't have their computers, Nintendos, iPods, cameras, cellphones, 250 channel satellite television, etc...

6. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Ehh, they don't support me at all, but I can care less. Family is those who you can share and feel a close connection, not really blood related, Pisoga is my family.

7. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

It is hard, being a single mom and working at home - especially during my son's vacations! Normally, I have to balance everything - time with my son, housework, running errands, working on my sites, etc. When he's out of school (like now), it can be quite difficult.

My son doesn't really grasp it all, he just knows that mommy has to work. He's very well behaved and entertains himself on his parental-controlled computer and TV, or his Wii. Many times, he'll come into my office and turn on the TV just to be in the same room I'm in. But he's generally quiet and entertains himself.

I do take time out to play with him, read together, make our meals, etc. But he understands that mom working at home is the same as mom working at an office. Work is work, no matter where I work at.

As long as I have the extra $ after the bills are paid to buy him a toy, he's ok. :)

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

They're extremely supportive - in fact, they're some of the select few that know about my "discussion forum addiction". I'm not someone that you look at and then think to yourself, "Oh! He's most definitely a forum developer." - if something forum or web-related comes up in a conversation, then I'll most definitely participate. It's not something that I'll randomly bring up, however (i.e. "Hey, what do you think of IP.Board 3.x.x?").

9. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

My family would think I'm talking Japanese or Chinese of I brought up any of those topics.

10. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Their response to vBulletin:

"Oh, excellent! I've been looking for a V-shaped corkboard!"

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

That made me lol irl.

12. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Seriously? Hehe, that is cute.

My family is fairly supportive, though they don't always understand what I'm talking about. They're completely behind the ice cream forum though. "We must stop here for ice cream, it's for the good of your web site!"

13. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Most of my family has no idea what in the heck I do except that has something to do with computers.

It helps a lot that they are far flung all over the US and I live alone. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. I set my own hours and if they don't like them I don't care.

14. kev

kev Regular Member

My family thinks it pretty cool. They may not understand the topics of my forums, but they still like to see a family member do something productive.

15. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

There ya go.

Heh my mom moved up here a almost 2 yrs ago because of health issues and I'm the only kid (out of 4) who would help her.

Anyways, she got ticked off when I wouldn't get up and go when she wanted me to (I'm 49 yrs old remember), and said stuff like "all you do is sit up there on that d*** computer all day". Of course, my response was, "well yeah, that's my job".

Most people don't look at it like that. If you're not at an office or place of employment, you're not 'really working'.

She moved back to Florida last October. :woohoo:

16. 2dub

2dub Regular Member

My wife is not too suportive she says I'm addicted.

17. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

aren't we all? :lol:

18. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    They probably wish that I made more money from it, but I don't live with any family, so that's okay.

19. torque

torque Regular Member

My family don't really care - they aren't that into Sport as I am and so they don't rush to the website to look at the latest news or to discuss.

But they do support me, my wife gets annoyed as while I sit here on my laptop tapping away working on the website I always turn it around to face her and say "What do you think about this" her response is ALWAYS "it looks good" - and then I end up changing it anyway.

However in saying that she took heaps of notice when I was able to get both her and I a new laptop each because of funds earned through my website you would think as a reward she would take a look once a day or even sign up on my forums just to thank me :)

I live just a couple of streets away from my mother and step dad and they took me out for dinner on Friday to celebrate as my website was featured in a magazine directed at my target audience, which was published on Friday and so they are supportive to the point where if I can get it to the position where it is earning just a couple hundred more bucks a month I can leave my job for six months to concentrate on it and tour the world going to different sporting events.

20. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

That's great merk_aus, I hope that leads to more traffic for you!