Welcome PM

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Wayne Luke, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

What does your Welcome PM say?

Here is mine (as of a few minutes ago):

2. kev

kev Regular Member

Note - in the real message the links do work. They were edited for this post.

------------------------------------

Thank you for registering. We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Copyright Infringement is taken very seriously on this site. For more information on our copyright infringement policy, see this thread - survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=30353

New members have certain features of the site disabled until they make 3 post in the forums. Please see this thread for more information - survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=8516

If you would, please drop by the new member introduction section and tell everyone a little about yourself - survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

One quick way to build up your post count is to post a welcome reply to other new members introduction threads. So if you post an introduction thread, just stay in that section for a few minutes, and say hello to the other new members.

A little information about the site:
    We have an arcade - survivalistboards.com/arcade.php

We have a chatroom - survivalistboards.com/misc.php?do=flashchat The chat room can not be accessed by new members until they have at least 3 post.

A downloads section - survivalistboards.com/downloads.php New members can not download files until they have made at least 3 post.

If you have any links to other websites you wish to share, please add them to our links directory - survivalistboards.com/links/index.php

If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them in the Information and Suggestion Box Section - survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

For your shopping enjoyment, we have a classifieds section - survivalistboards.com/classifieds/

And an Amazon and Ebay store portal - survivalistboards.com/store.php

Members are free to post items in the classifieds section at no cost.

The site has several built in avatars for you to choose from or upload one of your own - survivalistboards.com/profile.php?do=editavatar

Please make yourself at home.

All the best,
    $vboptions[bbtitle]

P.S. If you are interested in digital cameras and taking pictures, then visit my wifes site - digitalpictureforum.com/

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

For AA:
    For the Linnie Forum:
    I had to do that for the Linnie Forum because I found myself changing the welcome message every two days to add or remove something, so I figured it's easier to update a thread than the phrase.

I have that long and drawn-out thread because my demographic needs a little "push" and guidance. Otherwise, they wouldn't know that 90% of our resources or features existed. :giggle:

4. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

Am I the only one who doesn't like them and therefore doesn't use them?

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

The only time I don't like them is when they are the default message or something pointless like "Welcome to the Community." If it doesn't tell me something I didn't already know, or point me in the direction of something useful, then it's annoying.

6. doodles

doodles Adept

First Name:
    Lisa
    No I don't either or the automated email welcome.

Personally I never read the email and only open the pm to get it out of unread box. Maybe because its a one for all, no real effort to send. I know it would be physically impossible to write a pm or email for each new member esp on big sites but that doesn't change my view.

But the we miss you emails do touch my heart a little, got one the other day from adminaddict, and came and logged in lol.

7. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Nope, I hate them.

8. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I think they're ingenious! I haven't edited mine very much yet, but when I do, I'll post it.

9. doodles

doodles Adept

First Name:
    Lisa
    haha just looked at that again, it was a diff admin forum, so kinda worked.

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Nope, I don't like them either.

11. torque

torque Regular Member

Haha, to be honest I am such a newbie to vBulletin I don't even know where to go to edit the default PM when someone registers.

12. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Admin CP -> vB Options -> User Registration Options -> scroll down to "send welcome email" or "welcome private message" and click on the links to edit them :)

13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Regular Member

I occasionally edit my welcome messages (both the email and PM are identical) when I feel a need to be more clear. I still get the infrequent email from a flooring pro wondering why he or she can't access the topics in the pro forums. They haven't replied to either welcome message and haven't added any info to the expanded profile fields (I added several industry specific fields). Sometimes I feel like saying something really profound and extremely insulting, but bite my tongue instead. ;)

14. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

I haven't put any up, only because I haven't really found a way to word them how I like them. Personally, I think those welcome PMs are ingenious. A lot of forums that I visited which use them, usually clue me in to some feature or rules that I might not have known otherwise, or find too late.