Was the recent IPB security issue the cause for GBA Temp's hacking?

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by CM30, Oct 25, 2012.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

And the reason they switched over to XenForo recently? Because basically, there's this big board about video game hacking stuff called GBA Temp, and it got completely wiped out by an attack a few days or so ago. Then just coincidentally afterwards, someone happened to find a major security problem with IPB that was only just fixed.

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://gbatemp.net/

It was also mentioned on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/related/11umn3/gbatempnet_got_hacked/

And because they'll hopefully have their new forums up and running soon, a screenshot of the message:

gbatemphackmessage.png

So, was the security flaw that IPB have just patched the one which caused a famous big board to get hacked recently? Well, probably, although I have to say that quite a few other things about the site may have made it more likely to happen.

I mean, they were a 'hacking' site so to speak, and those tend to get hacked pretty often from my past experience. Sure no content there was illegal from I hear, but even sites about blackhat webmaster stuff tend to be common targets for malicious hackers. I just suspect that this kind of thing might have happened regardless of the software in use due to the type of audience such sites target.

'On an unrelated note, I'm also a bit worried they're going to use XenForo. I mean, the software's not really supported any more, so for the love of the community I hope no one with a grudge against them finds any security holes in it otherwise XenForo sites could be in a lot of trouble...

But yes, do you think the recent IPB security flaw was found because the site mentioned got hacked and either someone on staff or a 'hacker' reported it? And do you think GBA Temp was only hacked because they used IPB or was it likely to happen anyway?

Brandon likes this.
  2. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

What was the flaw?