vBulletin.com is now powered by vBulletin 4.1.1

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brandon, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    vBulletin.com is now powered by vBulletin 4.1.1

Please note:
    • Beta release coming soon.

Here is a list of the major features and/or bug fixes that are included in 4.1.1
    The list of template and file changes can be found below this post.

Flexible URL mapping
    This feature enables administrators to place the CMS in the root url of your site in a much simpler fashion. It also provides some flexibility as to the url's of other parts of the software.

Install/Upgrade fixes
    Here are some of the fixes to the installer/upgrader that are included:

CMS fixes
    Here are some of the fixes included in 4.1 for the CMS:

Misc fixes/improvements
    Here are a number of the fixes made to everything else in the product:

Again, thank you to everyone who has filed bugs in our bug tracker, we sincerely appreciate your assistance - and we hope with this release that we have addressed a large number of the bugs that you have raised.
    If you come across any bugs in the product, please continue to file them in our new tracker.

Enjoy,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    vBulletin 4.1.1 BETA Available to Download

who's upgraded their forums?

3. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

I was thinking of trying out on my test board tonite if I get a chance.

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I'll hold off till it's gold to update GF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

I'm interested in the Flexible URL mapping feature. I can't wait to see how that works.

6. Davros

Davros Regular Member

I won't be upgrading my forum to a beta release it's too much of a risk.

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I wouldn't say it's a risk but I don't want to go through the upgrade to gold a week after beta.

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    we are running the latest and greatest now :)
    please report any problems in this thread

9. Davros

Davros Regular Member

Depends how you look at it tbh, if you've paid for custom plugins & styles then it's a very big risk as theirs a very big chance that these will either stop working as they should or just stop working at all.

After being a vBulletin lover for some 5 or 6 years now, I'm starting to feel like our relationship is over, I'm sick of being screwed by Jelsoft / Internet Brands / Hellman & Friedman and am starting to think that looking for an alternative forum software is inevitable.

I like the look of XenForo but I fully understand it is a good way from being a complete product, I've run IPB boards in the past but do not like the Admin CP as much as I like vBulletin. I feel like they've got me over a barrel in a way, but I'm the type of person, who once backed into a corner will lash out and take actions not expected of me.

My problem is with each release of vBulletin 4 usually comes a patch level release within 24 hours due to the Q&A department missing a vital component or feature. you can spend hours if not days creating a custom plugin or style only to have vBulletin completely change there hooks or stylevars on there next release, which really hacks me off.

I know back in the days of VB 3.x things were changed, but I've never known the changes to be as drastic as the changes they implement with VB 4. The stylevars are a classic example from VB 4.0.6 to VB 4.0.8 the stylevar changes were huge leaving me with an unusable style, and to fix that style I have to virtually learn VB's stylevars all over, then put in many hours to fix the custom style I had already spent many hours creating in the first place.

All the documentation is out of date and virtually useless. You only have to look around on VB.com to see there are many 100's of unhappy customers posting about there dissatisfaction and lack of confidence in the product and I bet that is only a fraction of the dissatisfied customer base that VB has.

This is a topic I could rant about all day long, but I'm sure I would use the character limit for posts set by yourself in doing so lol.

VB was once the greatest forum software on the net and although currently nothing beats it, it's not a fraction of what it used to be.

In my opinion, if VB continue to update at the frequency we have been seeing, we will see a release of VB 5 within 6 months and then they will expect more money from it's customers. If the company has an once of decency left in it they will offer existing VB 4 owners a massive discount because from what I see VB 4 is still a beta release and not final, this is evident by the huge changes that are made to the software on each upgrade.

Wow, sorry I've gone a little off topic but I really enjoyed typing the above, it just flowed out of me I managed to vent quite a lot of anger toward Internet Brands.

10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I enjoyed reading it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

Many valid points for not upgrading. I stand by my reason though. I refuse to upgrade because I am lazy LOL And I will just wait till its all ready and everything so I dont have to upgrade right after again LOL

12. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    vBulletin version 4.1.4 Beta - available for download

vBulletin.com is now powered by an updated version of vBulletin 4.1.4 Beta

vBulletin 4.1.4 Beta is also now available as a download to all active customers. This release can be downloaded from the vBulletin Members Area at: http://members.vbulletin.com

Please note:

• We do not provide support for Beta versions
    • Some minor bugs remain unresolved at this time, and we do not recommend Beta software to be installed on production sites.
    • We always recommend that you back up your database fully before attempting to install Beta software.
    • More Bug fixes will be added to the final 4.1.4 release
    vBulletin 4.1.4 includes (this may change before the final release):

Features

CKEditor - includes WYSIWYG support for webkit browsers (Safari/Chrome etc.) <<( This will be nice, I think everyone will like it )>>

13. fokerss

fokerss Regular Member

well vb are great , nowaday they go for xenforo i wonder would vb drop price?

14. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    vBulletin isn't going to drop the price, I can promise you that.
    I can't wait to try the new editor on GF (4.1.4)
    I'm hoping the update will be out in the next 2 weeks.

15. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    vBulletin 4.1.4 now available for download

I am happy to announce that vBulletin 4.1.4 is now available to be downloaded from the vBulletin Members Area at: http://members.vbulletin.com

vBulletin 4.1.4 includes:

CKEditor
    This is a tool that can be used to help convert styles from vBulletin 3 sites to vBulletin4.

We'll be updating later tonight

16. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    vBulletin 4.X Security Patch

vBulletin Publishing suite and Forum Classic
    • 4.1.4pl2
    • 4.1.3pl2
    • 4.1.2pl2
    • 4.1.1pl2
    • 4.1.0pl4
    • 4.0.8pl4
    • 4.0.7pl2
    • 4.0.6pl3
    • 4.0.5pl2
    • 4.0.4pl3
    • 4.0.3pl3
    • 4.0.2pl6
    • 4.0.1pl2
    • 4.0.0pl3
    Has been released.

An additional flaw within a side query that is used in the search UI has recently been discovered. This is further to a previous patch that was issued. This flaw may enable malicious individuals to inject sql that would allow you to run arbitrary queries on the db via this exploit. To resolve this issue, it has been necessary to release a patch level version on all versions of vBulletin 4.X. The issue does not affect vBulletin 3.X to the best of our knowledge. We are not aware of a website that has been compromised by this flaw.

The upgrade process is the same as previous patch level releases - simply download the patch from the Members Area, extract the files and upload to your webserver, overwriting the existing files. There is no upgrade script required.

As with all security-based releases, we recommend that all customers upgrade as soon as possible in order to prevent any potential damage resulting from the flaw being exploited.

Upgrading from 4.X

If you are already running 4.X, the process you will be required to follow to make your board immune to this flaw is very simple.

Visit the Patches section of the vBulletin Members' Area and download the patch for the version you are using, then extract the files from the archive you downloaded, then upload the files to your board via FTP etc., overwriting the existing files. This will update your version to the PL1 release.

17. el canadiano

el canadiano Regular Member

Did they ever fix the word wrap issue in 4.1.5?

18. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    idk, I'll be updating a client to 4.1.5 saturday and one on sunday
    I'll let you know than :D