vBulletin 5 Live on vBulletin.com

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by AWS, Feb 20, 2013.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    IB upgraded http://vbulletin.com/forum to vBulletin 5. While the main forum index is slow as hack the threads seem to open fairly fast.

I also noticed in the footer that it says it's running vBulletin 5 which means this must be gold. If that is the case then it looks like history is going to repeat itself. Another half baked gold release that will be unusable until somewhere in the 5.1 range.

vBulletin sure has fallen far in the last few years.

2. HWS

HWS Regular Member

Many Bugs. Very slow.
    Clearly not ready for prime time.

But they needed to run it at a large forum before going Gold, otherwise debugging would be difficult.
    So, I understand their move.

But the software is mis-designed from ground up. The head developer should have been changed long ago.
    All they can (and for sure will) do is patching the holes.

3. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I agree with you 100%.

4. Lizard King

Lizard King Regular Member

Did you had any other doubt :)

This is how they operate and anyone who thinks , the way they operate will change is completely living in dream world.

2 people like this.
  5. cellarius

cellarius Regular Member

First Name:
    Sven
    Oh, you are mistaken. This is not a test to squash bugs for gold. This is gold, as announced in the licensed customers area. Why they hide the announcement there, I don't know - but that's maybe the only sane thing to do.

I myself have asked to be removed from the alpha/beta-testing group today.

6. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I have my theory as to why the announcement was put in a licensed customer only forum. I think even Lawrence knows it's garbage. He was ordered to get it out the door so he did and he thought it better to put the announcement so only paid customers can see it. The backlash is bad now. It would be 100 times worse if the announcement was where it should be.

I feel bad for staff. They have to deal with the pissed off customers. Other Mark B. they haven't said much about it. Of course we all know that Mark B was only hired to be a shill. How else can you explain why someone who was so outspoken about how bad vbulletin 4 was calling the company morally bankrupt would now be it's main cheerleader?

Mark B obviously has no real morals and his opinion can be bought.

3 people like this.
  7. Lizard King

Lizard King Regular Member

Wayne did a great favour to me 2-3 weeks ago and banned me ( not on my request though )

Now i don't have to spend time reading those threads and feel sorry for vBulletin anymore. I completely leave it behind. My last ties with vBulletin is going to be broken on March with completing our big board to IPB.

8. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    You are lucky. It is total meltdown over there. Customers are furious and staff are locking/deleting posts left and right. The only staff member that has said anything positive about it is Mark B which can be expected and the last superman dude Joe who also seem to be a paid shill from the looks of his replies since he was promoted to staff.

9. crash1987

crash1987 Regular Member

I was a vBulletin fan from 2003 until the vB4 release. Since that time all forums I own moved to other softwares. I still keep an eye on vBulletin though and I got to say I'm just shocked at what vBulletin has become. This byfar is the worst thing VBS has released yet, heck it's made me have a bit more respect for the vB4 series and I'm not a fan of that.

10. HWS

HWS Regular Member

Staff is not happy about the decision. I wonder why management did that. True, they were late and the marketing guys for sure got very nervous. But that shouldn't be worth to create such a desaster....

Even Mark B does not praise the software. If you read carefully, he praises the staff people only.

11. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Read some of Marks replies again. He has praised it more than once. In fact him and Joe are the only ones that have said it was good and will get better.

12. Slinky

Slinky Addict

I had low expectations for vB 5. To be honest, I never expected it to be the kind of disaster I saw this week. How could anyone release:
    • Voting polls that conspicuously don't add up correctly
    • Inability to go to new or last replies in a thread
    • Noticeably slow load time, even just on the forumhome
    • A bare login page - as in completely barren other than user name/password
    • Clearly inadequate navigation, especially in threads
    And I didn't even get to the actual bugs and key missing features. I really didn't expect anything this poor. It's so poor that even the CMO is stating that their Gold Release isn't ready to be deployed - which defeats the purpose of calling something a Gold Release doesn't it? They are generously extending free support from one month for an addition 3 months for a product that will probably require a year just to get on track with the features one would expect. Just shocked.

Regarding Mark B., I just think he's in his own world. He's never had an opinion that he couldn't contradict in another post to the point of being comical. He makes Mitt Romney look consistent.

2 people like this.