vBulletin 4 pricing update...

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by cheat-master30, Aug 17, 2009.

1. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

From here:

Some answers to important licensing questions - vBulletin Community Forum

The bolded bit seems like great news, the suite part not so much.

2. kev

kev Regular Member

I just renewed one of my licenses last thursday, so I am good on that site for a whole year. The other 2 expire in January.

The suite I am interested in is the one with the content management system and the forum all in one package. I'll be glad when the final prices are released so I know what I'am looking at.

3. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

4. cheat-master30

It doesn't say the update price for those with the blog or project tools (or both), as those need to use the suite to use those add ons with vBulletin 4.

5. David

David Regular Member

I'd imagine if your project tools and blog license is up to date with your vBulleitn license then you'll be just fine.

6. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Ray's admitted this is till being worked on as it's obviously a bit more complicated.

As a blog and PT owner, I'm confident now that we'll be ok. More than that, we'll probably end up with the entire suite for a bargain price.

7. cheat-master30

Well, that's what I want to happen. I have nothing against paying a moderate upgrade fee, just that it's not too high.

8. torque

torque Regular Member

OMG This is terrible news - this is a sad day in the world of vBulletin and forum users to say the least...

After months and months and months of on-going speculation, threats of court challengers and doomsday predictors rampaging through at least 100 threads on vb.com - there is nothing bad about the announcement.

They get their updates - feel sorry for those at .com that were "in the know" and predicting everything that is not even true and wouldn't even listen to anyone trying to talk with any sense!

It's a sad sad day! lol

9. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

This is mint. There was no way that they were going to screw everyone.

10. cheat-master30

Now if only that calmed down some of the 'never happy regardless of situation' people in the Licensed Customer Feedback forum, then we'd all be happy. But yeah, great news regardless, and one heck of a blow to some of the complainers (isn't it funny, a few certain people have stopped posting altogether since this updated was posted...)

11. drumming207

drumming207 Adept

This is great news.

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Too bad everybody on vBulletin.com didn't feel the same way. I understand the concerns, but using all your might to stirrup the community about it? Pitiful. Voice your opinion once and let it go.

Have faith in IB... at least let them screw up before you grab your pitchforks... :lol:

13. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Well there went the entertaining reading. Need to find something else contentious to read about now, like health care reform.

14. cheat-master30

My personal suggestion if you want entertaining vBulletin reading is the 'Read PMs' topics on vBulletin.org. Nothing says entertainment like the arguments for and against those modifications, to the point the topics were split from the original mod topic for people going off about privacy laws and rights.

15. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

How much more screwing up do you need, really? Seriously, one can only take so much, and all indications have pointed to IB not caring about what customers say, up until this point.

I'll admit, I was one of those who spoke out (very loudly) against the topic. Why? Because, honestly, IB wasn't listening, and still isn't. It shouldn't take 3 months to get things decided like this in any realm. Like I've said before, the really simple situation to "we haven't decided yet" is to sit everyone down in a room and NOT let them leave until the task is done. It'll be done within 24 hours.

We're not out of the woods yet, but IB has at least attempted to assure individuals that they are listening. Without this 'outcry' (which, BTW, everyone benefitted from, not just those that spoke up against the changes), we would have been right where those suggested changes put us, in deep crap. At least now, we know that IB is working towards a resolution, though they are still, as corporately as ever, dragging their feet, ever so slowly.

16. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Does anyone have any idea what the new licensing will cost? Ours is up in October and I do not know whether to pay for a full license or a leased one, but we really need to know the cost.

Should I budget $400?

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I definitely wouldn't advise purchasing a leased license, but would fully recommend purchasing an owned license to take advantage of the upgrade discounts and incentives.

18. cheat-master30

My advice is to buy an owned license now, since the upgrade costs will be free for the active owned license if just wanting the forum, and minimal if wanting the suite, compared to the $300 odd cost you'd have to pay to buy a new license when vBulletin 4 is out. Best to spend the $180 odd now.

19. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

There are speculations based on leaked info.

If you have a leased license now, wait till October THEN renew it, or upgrade it. Do not wait until they announce pricing information, you will be shooting yourself in the foot.

Budget $200 (IIRC, that's the price of owned now), and upgrade your leased to owned now. That way, you're covered till October of next year.

20. Nick

Nick Regular Member

And to clarify, one thing that we know for sure is that if you have an active owned license, you are entitled to vBulletin 4 (forum only -- not suite). Existing active licenses will be honored with the agreement they currently hold.