vBulletin 3.6.9 Released

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by ForumAddict, Mar 31, 2008.

1. ForumAddict

ForumAddict The AdminAddict Bot

vBulletin 3.6.9

While primary development efforts are concentrated on the forthcoming vBulletin 3.7.0, many of the fixes and improvements that have been made for the new version have also been back-ported into vBulletin 3.6.x. There are now enough of these changes to warrant a 3.6.9 release.

vBulletin 3.6.9 is (for the time being) our newest 'stable' release version for use on production sites. Any customers running a version of vBulletin 3.6.8 or earlier are advised to upgrade to take advantage of the improved stability of the new version, which includes 159 bug fixes.

We anticipate this to be the final release in the 3.6.x series before it is superceded by vBulletin 3.7.0.

Here is a short list of some of the bugs addressed in 3.6.9:
    Changed files and mandatory template changes are listed below in this thread.

Upgrading from Previous Versions

3.6.9 is a maintenance release and we recommend that all customers upgrade to benefit from many bug fixes and stability improvements.

No patch or plugin is available to bring previous versions up to 3.6.9 without a full upgrade, as the various changes to implement all the bug fixes represent a large number of changes. To get the fixes from 3.6.9 onto your own board, you must perform a full upgrade.

Full instructions for upgrading vBulletin are available here.

PHP and MySQL Requirements

Please note that vBulletin 3.6.x requires at least PHP 4.3.3 and MySQL 4.0.16 or later.

End of Life for PHP 4

The PHP group has announced the end of life for PHP 4. We strongly recommend that customers update their servers to PHP 5.2.5 if they are still running PHP 4. vBulletin 3.6.9 supports PHP 5 without any problems, though you may need to disable strict mode for MySQL, see here on how to enable 'force_sql_mode'.

Note: We will continue to support PHP 4 in the vBulletin 3 series.

Download vBulletin 3.6.9

As usual, vBulletin 3.6.9 is available for all customers with valid, active licenses to download from the vBulletin Members' Area.

vBulletin Members Area

More on this...

2. madmax1228

madmax1228 Regular Member

Upgrade

A few weeks ago we had the idea for our site. I grabbed 3.6.9 because it was the newest release. Would it be best to upgrade to 3.7x now or build my skills and upgrade when it is released?​

3. Daniel

Daniel Regular Member

Honestly, it doesn't really matter. Personally I'd go with 3.7 RC3 because it has a lot more features and I think it's best to get acquainted with them now. Moreover, gold is right around the corner (could be any day now). I'd go with 3.7.

4. madmax1228

Thanks for the feedback. So, if I were to upgrade, how much time am I looking at.....Take it easy on the NooB questions!

5. Daniel

Daniel Regular Member

Time to upgrade or time until 3.7?

Vbulletin just announced that 3.7 will go gold sometime next week; so I'd definitely say go with 3.7 now, even if that means waiting a few days for the gold version. As for time to upgrade, that depends on your connection since you have to overwrite all the old files. Once you do that you run the upgrade script. The script, assuming the files are all already uploaded, only takes two or three minutes.

I'm on a fairly slow DSL connection (three people using it all all times, pretty much) and I'd say I get all files uploaded and the site upgraded in about 15 - 30 minutes. If you have a fast connection, you could do it in five though. ;)

6. madmax1228

I upgraded to RC3 yesterday. took me about 2 hours..first time and all. I really like the member albums feature.

7. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Congrats on the successful upgrade.

8. madmax1228

Thanks...looks like I'll get more practice next week.