vBadvanced upgrade: Now has drag and drop modules!

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by ArnyVee, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

2. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Pretty nice eh? I downloaded it last week to upgrade my homepage on TbD, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I actually installed vBAdvanced on one of my sites yesterday and played around with the drag-and-drop part. It's not a huge addition, but it makes a WORLD of a difference. I'm going to be saving so much time now because before, we had to save and reload the page everytime we changed the modules.

Thread moved to Forum Software.

4. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I can't wait until I purchase/win a vBulletin license, I am going to have way fun!

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

It's amazing - you'll love it. :D

6. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I had/used vBulletin a while back but I really didn't know what I was doing.

It was a friend's forum and I was only doing minor design changes.

7. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Tom, you are going to have a ball with vBulletin, I'm sure. :)

And, this vBAdvanced 'drag and drop' upgrade now will absolutely make a world of difference for lots of folks. It's something that I had asked around for a long time ago. So, I'm happy. Hopefully I'll be able to get it installed and working next week. Got lots of stuff to work on now on the site and need to knock all of those things out before going to this. ;)

8. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Can you turn off the option for users to drag and drop? If I used vBAdvanced, it would have few modules on its page... Main content and maybe 3 or 4 modules in the right column. Wouldn't want that messed up.

9. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I know I will...

Sooner or later, I'll buy one. I want to wait around for Setsou to have an influx in traffic and such, first.

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Wayne, the drag-and-drop is for the AdminCP when arranging the modules on pages. I don't think end-users have the ability to arrange things. If they did, it would surely be controlled by a permission or option.

11. Wayne Luke

Oh.. I should download it. I think I have a branding free license somewhere. I was just going by the first post where it said it was per member.

12. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

It can be configured per member. Follow the demo on vBadvanced , just log in and click in the top right corner "Customize this page" and you can move things around :D

13. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

is this just a cosmetic improvement or did they fix any bugs?

14. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

well yuck. I wouldn't want for it to be customizable 'per member'. Is there an option to disable that? I want to be the only one who can customize it.

15. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Unless I'm completely not getting the point of it, I thought it was a way for members to customize their own look on your homepage. Do I have it wrong?

16. Wayne Luke

Well the drag and drop becomes a problem when you integrate it into your forum. If you expect certain blocks to be in a particular column than it can break navigation with deep integration. The only point I would use vBAdvanced is because I could use to to easily add a right navigation column with navigation and advertising. If the user can break that than the entire site wouldn't work.

Drag and Drop is nice on a site like MSN Live or iGoogle because you can also create blocks, add hundreds of widgets and new sources and the page is for you alone. Not sure it serves much purpose here except to have fluff for the sake of fluff. Using drag and drop in the control panel to create pages however is a good feature. One I with vBulletin took advantage of more often.

If the page customization is good for your site than that is great. I just wish time had been spent on modules for the blog, social groups and tag clouds. I'll just have to wait until the vBulletin CMS.

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

It's a mix of both of our assumptions. There is now drag-and-drop functionality for both the AdminCP and for front-end viewers:

vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.0 Released! - vBadvanced Forums

18. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

hmmmmmmmm...

19. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I picked up this upgrade ten days ago, it was unexpted and quite brilliant in the end user functionality it provides.

I doubt I will want the vB CMS, not just because of this though.

20. KW802

KW802 Regular Member

Wayne. just to clarify... the option to allow users to drag & drop the modules is on a per page basis, not globally. That means you could have a standard CMPS page with various modules on it & have it allowable for yours users to change the layout to their preference while at the same time your page that you have defined to integrate sidebars with the forums would have the option turned off so that the modules are always in a static position.