Twitter and Facebook Icons in Postbit

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Michael, May 16, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this but how can I get those twitter and facebook icons in the postbit next to digg icons etc is this part of vbSEO? Thank you for all help :)

2. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Nick will be here to help in a second. :)

You're not the first to ask, lol.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

It's a part of vBSEO. Sadly, before I acquired vBSEO I was having trouble finding a way to implement this - to no avail. If you're mainly interested in Twitter, you may want to try the vBTwitter mod at vBulletin.org.

I think this thread is better-suited in the Forum Software forum prefixed with vBulletin, so I'm going to go ahead and take care of that. :)

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Thanks for sorting that, we have vbSEO on one of our forums so I will make sure to check the options for adding them, they look very nice and a lot of our members I know use Facebook more than the rest ;)

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Here's the code to add the Twitter button, if you're interested: http://www.adminaddict.com/forum/f21/power-networking-388/#post2230

6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Any chance you have the Facebook one too? Thank you for this ;)

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

The Facebook one is included by default, but is commented out. Follow the instructions right in the text area where you can add custom bookmarks - it will tell you to remove the two slashes (//) that prefix the Facebook code. :)

8. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I have just found it and used your Twitter icon for it too, might reorder like yous have done too, might look better. Thank you again!

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

No problem; glad I could help! :thumbup:

10. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I'm wondering if there's a mod at vb.org to add these to your postbit? If not, there should be.

11. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Probably you could easily add them yourself just by editing the template.

I would say its actually rare that you want people promoting individual posts to their social networking accounts. Usually its the thread that becomes noteworthy and should be promoted in its entirety. This site does that with the "Share This" menu at the top of the thread. But then vBSEO adds the linkback menu and then icons in each post. It becomes too much.

You need to keep things simple for the users as well as yourself. The five links provided are good as they are well used but having them on every post is overkill and confuses the user. The same concepts that apply to CMS and Blog based sites for social networking also apply to forums.

12. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Very good advice.

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Wayne, I appreciate your advice. Personally I like the individual-post social integration. I have actually Tweeted a couple of individual posts already, such as your vB 4 post explaining how the pricing would be saving money in the long run.

I can't decide if I should remove the AddThis menu or not. We have the LinkBack feature but AddThis has additional sites integrated. What are your thoughts?

14. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Well there are many different ways to go about it.

The only issue that I have with Share This is that you now have 6 dropdown menus in the thread tools area. Now I realize this is a fault of vBulletin's default style and that dropdowns are popular but I think its a little cluttered. As such you would have to evaluate what should stay because its used and what is there because its "cool". Do you need different display modes? Is there a different way that rating threads could be presented? Could the search box in the header be modified so that its contextual? I know how I would answer these but you have to find the answers that fit this site.

Oh my answers?

Add more sharing icons to the linkback dropdown and rename it "Share" or something similar.

Turn off Threaded and Hybrid modes. They are rarely used these days and it would remove a dropdown.

Expose the thread tools of Print, Email and Subscribe (Favorite) so they are used more often. Rename the dropdown "Moderators" or something like that.

Implement one of the rating mods from vBulletin.org to show the ratings in a different easily understood method.

Rework the search in the header so that it has an option menu so you can search site, forum or thread as needed with a single search box. This is a little more complicated though.

I could see the three R's of Green Living being applied to web development as well as life. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle where possible.