There is one good thing about vBullletin now...

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by cheat-master30, Nov 28, 2009.

1. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

They've managed to pretty much turn around the situation with vBulletin 4, and in the process, caused all the anti vBulletin sites to run out of material. No joke, I guess even the complainers knew when to finally walk away.

2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Even if the complaints have died down/out theres still going to be all those out there who have been stung by the pre-sale and license changes.

We'll all remember :D

3. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

There are lots of vB die-hards that I've spoken to who are test driving some of the free and other paid alternatives after the bad taste left in their mouths. So, could be that a lot of the "complainers" are out and about getting busy and getting their communities moved over to other software options. :shrug:

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I'm just glad that things here are cooling down. :P

5. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

LOL...for your sake, I'm glad! :)

Nick was having a bit of a challenge with all of those "passionate" posts ;)

6. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

I don't think it has anything to do with vBulletin or any believed turnaround. I played with the beta and it's terrible and the default style is terrible. I don't know how it can go Gold anytime soon. Additionally, I simply think folks have quit trying to fight the battle and have realized they don't matter and are just a number to IB.

I know I'm very disappointed in the quality of vBulletin after paying for 6 license upgrades to v4 and then using the beta. I can't ever recall a previous vBulletin beta being what I'd consider a substandard product. This one is. Therefore, I quit giving my feedback over at vBulletin. They took me to the bank and then gave me a lemon.

7. EdgeOfVanity

EdgeOfVanity Addict

First Name:
    Wayne
    The default layout for VB4 really is disgusting - I definitely won't be installing it until it goes Gold. However, I also have only recently paid for a VB license, and am very happy with 3.8.4 - I think its the best forum software I've ever come across, so I won't be too harsh :p

8. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    I think it likely a few people are looking to switch, or already have.

When everything was at a fever-pitch, I made the comment on another site (Peggy can attest to this) that of those making the most noise, less than 20% of them would actually do what they were threatening a dozen times a day. Less than 20% of them would actually leave vB behind. I've not been keeping score, but I suspect my guess was not so far off as one might think.

Some folks want/need/require (your choice) attention and the stramash at vB/IB/vB Solutions (however they are now known) gave those people a chance to gain attention. And from the looks of all the National Enquirer/The Sun-esque vB hate sites that are now laying fallow, I suspect many of them achieved the 15 minutes they sought and have gone on to meekly pay their pound of flesh to vB/IB/vB Solutions.

As for myself, I decided to not waste time rattling a sabre and to spend it investigating options. I found an option that gave me everything I was looking for, including a re-discovered sense of business trust and real partnership. I made the switch and am now both happily and comfortably moving forward.

Nick, I can only imagine how many sleepless nights the passionate demonstrations around here caused you. You're toting things around in a larger wheelbarrow than I, if you follow my drift. ;) I wouldn't have risked it the way you did.

9. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I agree!

I don't think it's a question of cooling down as such, I think people who wanted to have their say have done so months ago, and have since moved-on and forgot about vBulletin.

What is interesting to note on vBulletin.com, is the new breed of customers coming through that are interested in vBulletin 4. I hardly recognise the place anymore with all the new faces posting now! But I've also noticed many old customers I was used to seeing posting last year have since gone, so it swings both ways. New for Old!

Like the person I quoted said, there comes a point when you know there is no point keep banging on about something all the time, that you know isn't going to suit you anymore. And that is what's happened months down the line now.

People keep hanging on to the name "vBulletin", it's not really vBulletin as such anymore, that's just a brand name IB kept going to sell it. The true vBulletin ended with vB 3.8 really. vBulletin 4 is a different product being produced by IB and not Jelsoft/vBulletin.

10. kev

kev Regular Member

And I think that is what happened to the old management of vbulletin - they ran out of new ideas. Or flat out rejected new ideas.

Where are the search engine friendly URLs?
    Where is the built in sitemap generator?
    Where is the built in integration with facebook, youtube, and other social networking sites?
    Why doesn't the picture gallery have light box?
    Why does the built in light box for thread attachments have to be so crappy?
    Where is the CMS that customers have been begging for for the past few years?

The lead developers and the management of vbulletin dropped the ball a long, long time ago. As social networking sites have gotten more popular, the people at vbulletin has been slow to respond.

In the long run, I suspect that internet brands taking over the vbulletin project will be a good thing.

I need a product that changes with the times. Instead of sitting in the 1990s.

11. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

:hello:

12. kneel

kneel Regular Member

I got treated like gold online and over the phone (without phone support) when I did my vb4 upgrade renewal. I held a leased, and they took care of me very well....i won't go into details...too each is own.

13. p4guru

p4guru Addict

Yeah they either moved on to other alternatives or secretly purchased vB4 upgrades without telling anyone LOL

14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Or are sticking with 3.8 or lower. :)

15. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    They still have a lot of bugs to fix before 4.0 goes gold, I wish them the best :)

16. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Wrong, and wrong. ;)

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Something tells me that ever since IB bought Jelsoft in 2007, the original developers may have anticipated the takeover by IB. If such was the case, why would they work hard to make it better when they know they won't be around for much longer?

If you're thinking further back than that, then I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion -- 3.7, for example, brought many new features (regardless of their poor implementation) to the script.

18. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I remember a few years ago when I was talking about the lack of a CMS and Gallery coming forward from vBulletin with another vBulletin member. Saying I couldn't understand what was holding them back? And his theory was, that some of the developers had their fingers in other side projects that made them money off the back of vBulletin. And that's why they'll never release an offical vBCMS or vBGallery.

Now I'm not saying I believe this to be true myself, but it sure is food for thought! I've never understood for example how Zach can be staff at vBulletin, yet be involved with vBadvanced and PhotoPost also at the same time. Both selling a vBulletin 3rd Party add-on. Which does kind of make you wonder at times?

19. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

...do not compete clause.. lol

20. AudiTT

AudiTT Newcomer

Well, i did say nothing about their crap on vb.com but i will not upgrade to vb4, instead i am working on IPB3 and its skinning now ;)