The State of vBulletin and What Needs to Change to Make vBulletin Viable Again

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by AWS, Jan 1, 2014.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I have stayed away from vbulletin basically since the release of vbulletin 4. I visit the vbulletin company forums on occasion to see if anything is improving. I still have hope that someday they will fix things and get back on track. More competition in the forum software world is a good thing.

As bad as vbulletin 5 seems to be. I haven't looked through the code or used it myself so I really can't judge it so I only go by what others are saying. I know the vbulletin company forum is slow as heck and isn't as user friendly as previous versions. There are features lacking that existed in previous versions. This to me seems like a bad business decision, but, then Internet Brands is well known for their bad business decisions.

I will say that vbulletin 4 is a pretty good product right now. Other than the work around support for IE 10/11 there doesn't seem to be any show stopper bugs and it is light years faster than vbulletin 5.

My thoughts are much the same as they were 2 or 3 years ago. They need to trash vbulletin 5 completely and let vbulletin 4 be the flagship product. Then start a complete rewrite of a new product. Build it from the ground up. I'm sure that vbulletin 4 could last the extra year as the supported and advertised flagship while a shiny new rewritten vbulletin is built. I do think if they did this they could become viable again. You just can't continue to build on 8 year old code and expect it to work.

Big al and Brandon like this.
  2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

As long as vBulletin is controlled by Bob Brisco the product will continue to suffer. He simply has no wish to put the time and effort into listening to customers and then hiring a quality team with a vision to completely rewrite the software or to extend on vBulletin 4.

Big al and AWS like this.
  3. GasMan320

GasMan320 Regular Member

While I agree with you, I believe there is absolutely no way IB could code a new product in 12 months.

They just don't have the motivation, corporate culture, or talent for such an undertaking. Getting things done that quickly requires a startup mentality and IB is the exact opposite.

s.molinari and Big al like this.
  4. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

Ive been in contact with the higher ups at vB / iB (about 3 weeks ago). I can assure you there is something REALLY BIG coming down the pipe for 2014. REALLY BIG.

Iconic and GasMan320 like this.
  5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I'll be interested to see what that is and if it isn't a complete overhaul of the current business model I have my doubts that anything big would be more than just hype and marketing speak to appease investors.

Big al, CM30 and goblues like this.
  6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

It's an assumption on my part but I'd be amazed to hear that vBulletin is making a profit. The amount of staff that have been shed over the last year somewhat validates that assumption. If there was something 'REALLY BIG' in the pipeline I suspect it's that vBulletin shuts up shop, sheds even more staff and deploys the rest to service Internet Brands vBulletin sites internally.

The only other possibility I can see is that the parent company bails out vBulletin financially. One thing I am fairly sure about is that there's not enough employees left with sufficient expertise to produce software of any consequence.

Big al and AWS like this.
  7. NixFifty

NixFifty Regular Member

I think both are wrong ;)

8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

You are probably right :) However if you look at vBulletin's current licensing model, vBulletin 5 would appear to provide their only real avenue for income and that has attracted very poor sales according to one source, an ex-contractor. Therefore I would have thought by now there will be some financial concerns within the company and that must limit their options.

9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    The main problem is vbulletin is a mere blip on the radar as far as big picture goes. IB bread and butter is their advertising dollars and web properties. vbulletin could languish is a funk forever. In all honesty I think IB doesn't give 2 shits about vbulletin.

zappaDPJ and Big al like this.
  10. echo_unlimited

echo_unlimited Professional Procrastinator

In my opinion, I think they've reached the point of no return with vBulletin 5 and it would be a PR disaster to not continue updating that piece. PR disasters cause decreases in stock prices, and therefore investors would be... angry.

I think they'll keep trying to refine whatever they are trying to do with vBulletin 5, and they'll go down that never ending road until they close shop.

Big al and Terry like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Regular Member

Yeah right, and they are going to let a noboby in on there plans ... :rolleyes:

This makes sense ... :agreed:

12. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Holy moley you do not mean .................VB6!!!

13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

Corporate politics makes dumping vB5 not an option. Imagine if you were the project manager in charge of vB5 development... You and your team of 20 or so developers were paid millions in salary over the years, the whole time you are telling your boss how great vB5 is shaping up to be.

Now how realistic would it to be to now go to that same boss that you were telling how great vB5 development was going the whole time and instead be like, "Yeah, vB5 is terrible... I know you invested millions in it and trusted me when I said it was great, but I was wrong... It's garbage and those millions we spent on development was for nothing. Let's start over and try it again.. Cool?"

You aren't going to say that... Instead you will say something more along the lines of, "Yeah it has a few minor issues, but we are working through them and it's getting better and better with every revision."

At least that's what you would say if you wanted to still have a job.

The only way dumping vB5 would be an option is higher ups more or less would need to fire every developer that had anything to do with vB5 purely on principle.

14. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

I don't think vBulletin will ever be viable again. At least not for me. They have gone too far down the road on so many issues that it just doesn't make sense for anyone to travel back over that bridge. Especially with XenForo being such a good product.

Big al likes this.
  15. Big al

Big al Regular Member

The only thing that would get Vb back up and running is if they really wanted to and had a determination to do it.
    Sadly all indications are that they want it to fail, probably so they can concentrate on other areas that make more money.

A bad scenario for all the VB customers and employees, some who have already been "let go" how many will follow is open for debate.

16. Chris Teriakis

Chris Teriakis Regular Member

Most probably should be the CMS for vB5. The real joke. They were unable to release a stable CMS even for vB4. Much more for vB5.

17. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    But if a manager will not do that that will also means that the CEO is not concerned about sales of the software else they would see a drop, if we go out of your tool that tracks installments of software.

So project manager can't go to upper management to tell what has happened and has no clue how to solve the issues, so quality will always take a back seat in how you explain it.

18. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

I can't believe you know a diddly squat about what IB is up to. And even if you were spoken to by the high and mighty IB upper management, I remember Joe R. talking about vB5 at Forumcon and some 125+ new features coming in vB5. Everyone knew about the number, but was never given the features, neither in reality or even as just a list of new features. On the contrary, we got vB5. :eek:

So, my motto is, I'll believe it, when I see it.

Scott

19. s.molinari

Yeah, in a poor corporate culture, that is what would happen.

In a proper corporate culture, mistakes are allowed and actually wanted, because it is the only way to grow. But mistakes are fixed quickly and I mean really quickly. This is what I've learned.

1. If the mistake was made while trying to innovate, then you simply drop the innovation, before it goes to market. To see a mistake before it actually happens like this though, you have to understand your customers (current and new) very, very well.

2. If the mistake is a process mistake, then you fix the process quickly. You always check the process first too, before you look to #3.

3. If the mistake is a people mistake and isn't a direct violation of rules and policies or if the policy is missing, you consider if the mistake is a one-off or not and teach others how to avoid making the same mistake, by changing/ improving/ adding policy and informing staff respectively. You basically set your expectations for behavior. If the mistake isn't a one off and the same person/ people keep making them, despite efforts of correction and improvement, then you look to measures to let go that person or people.

If this is being done at IB, I'll eat my shoe.

Scott

Big al likes this.
  20. s.molinari

To answer the question asked, it's funny, I just wrote in another thread somewhere else what I think needs to happen.

IB's management needs to catch the virus called....

Changeousofattituditis

Scott