Streaming Music on Forum Index

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Chris, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris Regular Member

What are your thoughts on streaming music on the forum index page? If you have done so in the past (or currently do so), do your members find it to be refreshing, or do they find it to be an annoyance?

While I'm an absolute music addict, I personally can't see myself doing this. Seeing as each and every member has their own individual preference/taste when it comes to music, I can see this becoming a bit of a "conflict".

2. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

I absolutely hate this. Half the time, I am already listening music or watching TV while on the computer, so this would be conflicting. Also, it slows down your site unless you run with dedicated server(s).

3. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Ack, no, certainly not as the default. I want my users to visit while they're at work :)

4. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Not a fan of it myself. Usually sites that do this have different tastes in music and it turns me off from visiting.

Have never done it myself because there are a lot of legal issues and licensing fees to pay in order to keep the RIAA off your back. Too much hassle to be worthwhile.

5. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I use it on my forum home using playlist.com and have Disney music playing.

Usually I have the songs that are holiday related around certain times of the year.

My members seem to like it, but I haven't changed it in awhile so I'm sure that they are annoyed by now though. :)

6. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Arny, I noticed that and for some reason I think it is nice and fits in well on your forum.

Otherwise, no, I would never do this. I don't really like it when any website automatically plays music when you visit it. Music in member profiles with auto-play turned off could be usable, though.

7. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I considered doing it at Bird is the Word; I would play Family Guy related songs. However, I wasn't sure if my members would like it. So that didn't stick for long.

On Setsou, no. No reason for it.

However, if I visited a forum with music streaming, I would easily just turn it off; pause it. For example, at Arny's forum, when a song is playing I don't particularly like, I just pause/skip it.

8. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    You can create a menu system to be at the top, and link it to feeds such as Sky.FM :)

I think people are surprised when I tell them what type of music I listen to. :lol2:

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I can see you listening to Salsa.

10. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Have you been stalking me? :lol:

11. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Nope. Quite literally a "wild guess". :D

12. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    It's just that I posted something similar on the IPS company forums a few days ago. I just somehow got into that, but it really isn't my main taste of music — if that makes any sense at all.

13. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Mi Libertad <3 Best salsa song EVER

14. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I know what you mean. For example - I've been (as of lately) becoming a bit more interested in hip-hop. While it's not my "genre of love", it's something that I will listen to.

15. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    @ FMB: Amor Verdadero.

@ Chris: Yeah, that's what I mean. Though I was talking about people being "surprised" because of my age, which is ridiculous. Farber is a little younger than me and still listens to rap. Pfft. PC at its worst.

16. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I am starting to listen more Spanish songs by the second, and more inappropriate songs as well, my neighbors yelled at me a couple of minutes ago for having DJ ASA 'Hardstyle Sex'... My mom was like 'Que es eso mija!?'[What is that!?] :P Best Techno song eva~

17. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    So you can create a section on your forum for members to listen to some type of XM radio? If so, can you limit this to certain users and how much is it?

18. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i wouldnt, cause the forum members have different music tastes, and i find it annoying as i often listen to music while on the forums. also it makes it hard to go onto the forum during work or school without the music going off