Stick with vBulletin or go with something else?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by mush490, Feb 17, 2013.

1. mush490

mush490 Regular Member

I recently purchased a vbulletin license, not having any idea about the history of the company. Since then, I've read alot about how vBulletin is heading in the wrong direction. I purchased the vb5 license with the intention of using vb4 because vb5 is still in Beta. I am now having second thoughts about my purchase.

My site is a community site with a CMS front end. The cms was a huge factor in me choosing vBulletin because I didn't want to have to integrate wordpress or joomla. I've built my site and realized that the vBulletin cms leaves much to be desired. I've been using wordpress alot lately and the vBulletin cms is garbage compared to wordpress. Even though it sucks, I've been able to make it work.

Anyway, I've built my site, and it is pretty much ready to launch. My concerns have led me to check other forum offerings such as xenforo and IPB which both seem more modern and user friendly. I'm just thinking about what I should do. I already have quite a bit of time and $$ invested in this site. Do I just go live with it? Or, do I start over? What would you do?

I wish I did a little more research but hindsight is 20/20. If you think I should take a different route, what software would you suggest?

my requirements:
    CMS
    Forum
    1 look and feel
    mobile ready on cms and forum

Thanks!

Brandon likes this.
  2. Jura

Jura Regular Member

IPB's developers don't like their software being integrated with other software. They have IP Content but that requires a bit of work. Stick with vBulletin.

mush490 likes this.
  3. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

For all the issues with Internet Brands, vBulletin 4.2 PL3 is the most viable product available.
    There isn't anywhere near the level of free modifications and template edits for other software.
    Nor are there so many other customers willing to answer questions and offer assistance. The knock on IB is their lack of development on vB4 since the purchased the product from JelSoft. It isn't that vB4 isn't a quality product, even if it took them two years or so to get it there.

Had XenForo not taken the risk of violating a non-competition agreement in the (at least partial) creation of their product while still employed by JelSoft / IB it likely would have soon taken over as the most customer-friendly product. As of now, no one knows the future of XenForo other than those involved in the litigation.

InvisionPowerBoard will nickel and dime you to death. Everything is a recurring fee or a paid add-on. It's not intuitive and the back-end is a nightmare even for experienced users. While it offers some functionality that vB4 and XF do not offer (vB5x will offer the same and more, eventually, or so they keep telling us) it's not something you would simply be able to import your forums to and run with it. It would take you weeks or months of hands-on experience to learn the differences and to unlearn everything you just learned about vB, which largely doesn't apply to IPB.

mush490 likes this.
  4. mush490

mush490 Regular Member

Thanks for your replies. You've helped to validate my decision. I'm going to stick with vBulletin.