Public Trash Bin

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Do you have a public "Trash Bin" section on your site? I'm sure we all have a section for withholding threads that are against the rules and such, but it's usually kept private. I've seen some forums though that have their Trash Bin viewable by forum members. Do you?

2. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I see a lot of forums with these. I never truly understood the point. I keep all of my closed threads in their respective sections, unless there is something else wrong with them... then they're moved to the staff-only trash bin (because I don't allow deleting of posts).

3. MsJac

MsJac Adept

First Name:
    Jacquii
    Yes - on JPiC I have a Recycle Bin for dead posts, closed threads and/or posts which ordinarily would have been deleted. We do not soft delete threads - we either permanently delete threads or place them in the Recycle Bin. JPiC Forum is a non-censorship community; we value the concept of open and transparent moderatorship. The only private forum is the Staff Zone.

Jacquii.

btw - on an interesting note - I suppose most people would soft-delete threads only because it is one way of making the actual number of posts greater than it truly is. I've always found that concept a bit misleading...

4. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

No, why would you want to leave the trash lying around?

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Public? Absolutely not.

If you "delete" a thread, isn't the whole point of doing so to remove it from public view? Simply moving a thread to a locked forum (or, a "Public Trash Can") is not a viable move - it'd be much easier to simply lock the thread and keep it where it originated, rather than moving it (different moderation action, same effect).

Rather than deleting threads and/or posts, I move them to a private (staff access only) "trash bin".

6. Imperial

Imperial Adept

Seems like I do the same as everyone else. Private "trash bin" located in the Staff section or in an Administrative section.

My trash bin has lots of out of date content, test posts and random-ness. Not necessarily rule breaking posts, just junk. I don't hard delete the post since I still want the user's post count to remain the same (because its a sign of the time they've invested on the forum). Instead I prune the trash bin which deletes the junk posts while keeping the post counts intact. I don't think its deliberately misleading, just practical given the users.

7. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Also, there are some forums that may leave the last 30-days of trash for reference.

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

That's what we do here at AA, however, we keep them "stored" for an unlimited amount of time - never know when you'll need to check up on something. ;)

9. MsJac

MsJac Adept

First Name:
    Jacquii
    Well - the JPiC Recycle Bin with dated posts such as expired contest announcements (writing/poetry contests) and calls for submissions which I and my Members have spent a substantial time in posting - so I don't suppose you can actually call it trash - only recycled. There may be a distinct difference from what the rest of you are calling "trash" I suppose. Kinda like the vBulletin.org Graveyard...

Jacquii.

10. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I just use the built-in deletion log and leave the deleted threads where they originated.

11. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

We dont delete threads as such, they get moved to a junk folder, visible to staff only.

12. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

In cases like that I just close the thread so people don't erroneously post to it. :)

13. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    No, not at all.

14. MsJac

MsJac Adept

First Name:
    Jacquii
    oh yea - the JPiC Recycle Bin - all threads are automatically closed when moved to it ;)

Jacquii.

15. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I never liked the approach vBulletin uses to managing deleted posts/threads/etc. I wish there was built-in Trash Bin functionality like IPB.

16. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Mine Is

Incredible Hall Of Shame

;)

17. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Dunno what IPB does, but on CF have a very simple mod that adds an option "Move to Junk" on the Thread Admin dropdown, choosing that option simply moves the thread to our Junk forum. Very simple.

We have a similar system on vb.org, that works through the delete screen and gives a choice of soft delete or move to our deleted items forum, or one of the graveyards.

18. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    We have that here, Paul.

19. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yeah we have that as well, but there isn't one for individual posts. I wish "soft deleting" a post/thread would automatically move it to the specified "Trash Bin" forum.

20. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    no, the trash bin section is kept away from the regular members.....im a very nosey person and prefer to keep it hidden in a staff only forum, so i can use it for reference on spotting well known trolls posting styles :D