Pre-Launch Tasks and Checklist

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Before you go public with a brand-new community or forum, what things do you go over and check, or do, before you are prepared for launching? What would you recommend to somebody who has never launched a forum before, so that they don't launch prematurely?

What are some of the worst things you've witnessed to be forgotten before launching?

A common thing I see is not changing the default theme before launching. The admin intends to find a custom or non-default skin, but doesn't do it before launching, which is a mistake, IMO.

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I tend to organize my pre-launch tasks into individual categories to ease the process. ;)

The Server Environment (Hosting):

• Ensure that the server is properly configured, secured, and updated (e.g. the OS, scripts, and/or additional software). After running various security scans, I will perform a series of tests to determine if the machine is fully-prepped and ready for use (on all levels). If any 'red flags' are raised, I will immediately diagnose the issue and re-scan after I feel that it has been properly resolved and successfully repaired.
    • Ensure that the domain has been properly configured at my registrar. I cannot tell you how many times fellow administrators have simply forgotten to update their nameservers, let alone register their IPs if applicable to their environment.
    • Ensure that the proper security precautions have been taken and in turn, delegate secure passwords to each account, script, and/or database. Additionally, all directories must be secure before even considering a launch (or test run, for that matter).
    The Script:

• Ensure that the forum script has been correctly installed, configured, and deployed. If I run into even the most miniscule issue, I will completely wipe the directory clean and reinstall the package.
    • Ensure that each setting has been updated to my standards. I will go through each category in the administrative control panel and enable/disable each setting and/or option as desired. While the vast majority of this task can be completed when the board is up and running, I prefer to do so before opening up to the public. It simply makes things much easier to manage (as opposed to becoming overloaded with other pressing matters).
    • Ensure that all categories and boards have been appropriately created and organized. Why open up to the public before this task has been completed? There would be no point in doing so!
    The Finalization Process:

• Develop, modify, and deploy a Terms of Service agreement, a Privacy Policy, and a series of general rules and guidelines. Once these have been made publicly available, ensure that each document has been edited for correctness (e.g. proper grammar).
    • Retrace all of my steps to ensure that everything has been configured correctly and no mistakes have been made. If there are any visible errors, I will take the time to iron them out and correct whatever caused them in the first place. I will almost always run into one spelling mistake; other than that, everything is generally perfect.
    After I have gone through each of the above tasks, I will open the board and allow the posting frenzy to begin. :)

3 people like this.
  3. bucket

bucket Addict

see how it looks in Firefox and Internet Explorer.

register a test user account to see that the process works, and that the hello email works and what it looks like. can delete later.

4. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    register a test user to make sure that everything works from a members point of view-would hate to open a forum to find out that members have all been given mod powers, or that members dont have permission to post.