Post Count

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Wrams, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Wrams

Wrams Novice

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hey can someone let me know if Post Count has been disabled...? I have made 4 posts now and that was yesterday and when i tried to PM a friend it said i had No Post Counts so was unable to PM any members.

:EDIT: It's just gave me 1 post count so must be working now.

2. torque

torque Regular Member

posts made in certain forums have been disabled such as introductions, competition, social/off topic sections

3. kneel

kneel Regular Member

yea post counts only count in certain sections...i know they dont count in the introduce sections...

alot forums do this...esp in the off topic areas...

4. Wrams

Wrams Novice

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ahh OK cool, Thanks for letting me know..;)

5. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

What's the point in foruming if your posts don't count? :eek:

6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

The forums theyll be off in are no real contribution to the main purpose of the community for example forum games, does putting a single number in a forum game really contribute? Not really :)

7. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

It's a forum, everything should COUNT, even if it's just a intro thread/post or a forum game thread/post...

If the threads/posts is being added to the Forum Statistics than they're 100% contributing to the forum...

8. Michael

Michael Regular Member

It is down to personal preferred taste, on our forums we dont really care if someone gains post count for these types of posts but other forums do and usually for the reason I said. Having it this way can also entice members to post more posts of worth and value within other threads instead of posting in the games and gain a status on a forum for something other than posts of less value.

Yes they have value as theyre added to the whole forums post count but theyre not valuable as in a decent piece of information or anything of great interest.

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Due to the uniqueness and niche of the contests in which we hold, it's crucial for us to monitor and credit only the posts that can be directly (or indirectly) related to our exact subject of discussion - forum administration and management. ;)

It's all about quality, not quantity. This is, of course, a matter of personal preference as mentioned.

5 people like this.
  10. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

You say it makes people post quality posts but that still doesn't make every post valuable, members can still post in the sections that have post count enabled and only post a sentence or something non-valuable/non-quality...

Get what I'm saying?

11. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Yes but it reduces the likelihood of someone posting just for the heck of it gaining recognition on a forum for a high post count that purely consists of crap.

12. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

What makes you think a high post count means anything any ways?

Any one can post a lot, still doesn't mean that the member is a respected member of the community...

13. Michael

Michael Regular Member

A lot of people will value someone who has a high post count without looking through all of their posts to determine whether they deserve any form of credit.

People with a high post count I have found to be quite important members of communities.

14. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    Shadow does make a good point here. Yes, in some communities a high post count is a great indicator of the expertise the member has brought to the forum. However, in other cases post count is abused by people simply looking to do what Chris mentioned... get their post count up so whoever looks at that number thinks that the member is important.

I'm actually suprised, given the type of community that AA is, that we don't employ a system that allows members to award points based on the quality of the posts. Although I have only been here a short while, I have begun to draw my own conclusions on how knowledgable some members are. Nevertheless, it would have (and still would be) helpful to get the opinions of the rest of the community.

Perhaps there should be a contest on that - who contributes the most useful content?

Thanks,
    RR

15. darklyght

darklyght Newcomer

What's the point of arguing so much just over posts count...it doesn't really matter...does it?

16. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I personally dont care what the system is on any forum.

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Isn't that what the reputation is for? You mark a post as helpful (bottom-right corner) and that user gains reputation points. The more reputation points a user has, the more green bars/pips they achieve. Thus, users with more green pips are generally more helpful and provide quality content.

2 people like this.
  18. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    :doh: Woops! I'm going to have to pull the "newbie card" on that one. I thought those little buttons just marked the post as good or bad. I didn't realize that they actually tracked back to the individual poster as well. Are they used a lot on this forum? Now that I understand them better I'll start using them more often.

Once again... thanks Nick! :thumbup:
    RR

2 people like this.
  19. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

Why would any one assume that a member with a high post count is knowledgeable, important, a respected member of the community, ect. ect.? I know I don't...

As well as the rep system... A person with a high rep count still doesn't really mean anything because that too can get abused by friends giving rep to each other until their reps are high or higher than everyone else...

20. Nick

Nick Regular Member

It's a natural tendency. Although you may not fall into the "trap", most people do.

... In which case we will ban the user from using the reputation system. Feel free to report suspected abuse here: http://www.adminaddict.net/forum/contact-staff/