Partner or Solo

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, May 24, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Chris mentioned this in his introduction post, so I figured I'd make a thread of it. Do you prefer to run a forum solo or do you like to have a partner or two? Personally I like having at least one other administrator on the team.

I think it's much easier to have somebody to work with - it allows for more ideas and much greater productivity. I am always on the lookout for new partnerships and project start-ups and pick them up when I can. What about you?

2. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    In the past I've had a tendency to remain solo, at least until I found someone that was absolutely right. I have been through many different forums in the last couple of years, but the only real partners I can say I've had are yourself, here on AA, and Chris. Also, on my oldest and largest forum I had a member move up to super moderator and eventually co-administrator. This took about a year and a half.

3. plazzman

plazzman Adept

I've always either moved up through the ranks to Admin, or helped someone make their forum. Never really made one just for/by myself.

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

As mentioned in my introduction thread, I prefer working with either a partner or a co-administrator. I like having someone to bounce ideas off of (even if they're horrible - that's the point!), and sharing the "spotlight" with someone who shares the same passion as I do is an intensely rewarding feeling.

5. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I like having a co-admin.

On my designs site, I like having a co-designer as well. Unfortunately, my co-designer has been awol (health issues) for a while.

6. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Ah that's a shame - hope that he/she gets well soon.

7. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    I have mixed feelings over it. Sometimes I may get paranoid and want to go solo, but having a partner who you can trust is also good. They can help take care of things when you're not around.

8. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Very true.

I'm considering partnering up with someone now. It's alot to think about.

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

There are a variety of factors to take into consideration. It's not the easiest decision but in the end, it's a great deal of fun. :)

10. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Well, I wouldn't be partnering with another designer. I'd be partnering with a vB admin site. And yeah, there are alot of factors to take into consideration.

11. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    No Partners...ever...the Power is all mine, mine I say awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_307c67c3ec68b05413bc24875d660728.gif

12. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Uh oh... it looks like we'll be needing to take all of that power away from you! :p

13. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_a2eea58c4b372d68e495c63cd776dbf2.gif awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_a2eea58c4b372d68e495c63cd776dbf2.gif awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_a2eea58c4b372d68e495c63cd776dbf2.gif

14. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

I used to have a partner for RCTgo, and I enjoy having one to share ideas with and make sure I'm not doing anything completely stupid. Unfortunately, my co-admin / partner at RCTgo stopped visiting well over a year ago, and I've been pretty much solo since.

15. John

John Regular Member

Maybe I am a little power crazy but i like to be the only owner but sometimes i like to have like an Co-Admin that can help me with ideas and other stuff but i want to be the only owner on my forum.

16. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    Solo.

If something goes awry, the buck stops here.

~IF~ the site manages to turn a profit, those bucks stop here as well. ;)

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I agree that flying solo has its benefits; but I think the benefits of working with a partner far outweigh those of working alone.
    If you work alone, you may be limited in what you can do and therefore in what kind of revenue you bring in. But with a partner, you may be able to maximize revenue so much that even when you split the profits, you make more than you did when you were alone.

18. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    I suppose that is a possibility. I've also seen partnerships run rife with discord, so I prefer having only myself to blame when the spam hits the fan.

I am extremely careful when selecting moderating staff and make it a habit to not select too many. In five years, I've never had to let a staff member go. I had one who had to resign her position because Life was getting in her way, but I've never had a need to 'fire' anyone.

19. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I've never had to let a team member go, either. I just have become unlucky in that area, as I've had multiple moderators resign for personal issues. It's a shame.

20. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I would LOVE to have a co-admin or partner on my sites. With working a full-time job and trying to spend time with my family, it leaves limited time to get everything that I want done on my sites.

And, as far as the monetary side of things, I would absolutely share the wealth if the co-admin and I were both responsible for the success of the sites. Believe me, it would be a team effort as we'd both be responsible for certain aspects of the running of the sites.

Up to this point though, I've been the sole admin and owner on my sites. But, I could definitely see a partnership in the future helping me get the sites where they could/should be! :D