Nulled but Owned

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by John, Jun 5, 2009.

1. John

John Regular Member

I belive this is illegal but still something that can be discussed.

If you have an owned vBulletin licence then you can run it forever but you can't download new versions unless you renew but if you download an nulled from some place and have it on the site you have put in your licence then would it be illegal to run it?

It probobly is but still, think this is most directed to Wayne.

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Why would you need a nulled version? Couldn't you used an old licensed version? If you have a license, you should be able to download the latest version you're entitled to run.

3. Chris

Chris Regular Member

A nulled copy of vBulletin is illegal, regardless of whether or not you're using it to upgrade an already existing legal copy of the script. You will need to pay the renewal fee in order to upgrade to the latest release(s).

4. John

John Regular Member

I have an active licence and don't need any nulled and would never use one this was just something I thougt could be discussed.

5. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Hmm... Rather tough actually.

If you have an inactive Owned License and install a newer version via a nulled copy then Jelsoft wouldn't provide any support for that newer version. Running a nulled version on top of your inactive owned license however will not trigger any anti-piracy flags either. Jelsoft would not know about it when you asked for support and can refuse support for that version until you upgrade/reactivate the license but that is probably all that can be legally done.

So at the most you would be hit with a renewal fee but I doubt a take down order will be issued. If the licensing changes to a versioned system than there may be other repercussions.

There are other hazards to using a nulled license though. Backdoors, insecure code modification, and virus transmissions are some of them.

6. John

John Regular Member

Yea that was a little what I thougt but not so much but thats good to know. I won't use an nulled copy anyway since I have an active licence and will always keep it active if I have any forum that licence.

7. lyco

lyco Addict

First Name:
    Chase
    wow so if i am correct in interpreting what you said wayne if for instance i used a nulled version to upgrade my site i would just forfeit my rights to support until i legally upgrade to the new version if the system stays as it is that is unfortunate for the devs and vb but i guess pirates will find a way around anything i just have fun reporting them lol they think they can get away with so much