Need technical advice on a vB forum display

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by 3Phase, May 12, 2009.

1. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

vBulletin 3.8.2
    http://www.mybarntalk.com/
    launch imminent, beta users registered

I'm adding customized buttons above the navbar. For some reason the buttons are partially overlaid by the navbar. They are currently placed in ad_header_end. I've tried them in header and in ad_header_logo and the results are the same.

A note that, as of this writing, button security conditionals are not yet in place, and not all have the full navigation added yet.

Also ... not necessarily important, but when the page loads the buttons are seen to leap from left to right. Is there a simple way to stop that from happening? Should I add some html code with ' align="right" ' to the header code that places ad_header_end? (At the time I post this this is happening, in case I solve it before it is viewed by someone helping.)

This is the first time I've done navigation buttons ... if this is simple and obvious that's why I'm missing it. :)

2. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

Hello,

You could have added the code right at the top of the navbar (or at the end of the header) to get the same effect. That way if you did ever want to addd some ads there you wouldn't have to move things around.

You should check this out http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=203521 It will give you an idea of what you should do.

Also the 'jump' from side to side, I don't think is a big deal. I actually think it happens on all forums. You're just noticing it more because of the buttons there. The page is loading...at least it looks fine to me on FF on MAC.

3. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

Excellent suggestion - thanks so much Kevin. I'll take a look at the link as well.
    :cool:

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Wow, I really like that navigation setup. I'm going to set some time aside and try this one one my forums.

And it appears as though you're off to a great start with your site, Mary. :)

5. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Yeah, great navigation!

6. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

Thank you so much !!! I really appreciate those comments, that's the target response.

The future users of this site would rather do anything than sit at a desk. They hardly sit down at all. I realized fast that navigation needs to be as close to transparent as possible. Whole point of the site ... minimize desk time, ride more. :D

7. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

OK another technical question ... this is cosmetic but it would be nice to get it right.

The dropdown selections aren't displaying the correct colors. This could be due to the background and level of transparency. However ...

Quick How-To's is displaying dropdown items nicely, nice crisp white
    My Panel and New Posts aren't showing dropdown items as white

I've stared hard at the code and don't see the answer there.

Thanks for any advice! :)

8. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I see "white" text on a red background.

However we perceive pink text on a red background because our eyes are designed to blend colors for a richer world with great depth perception. Red is a primary color of the spectrum so it blends easily with White which is an amalgam of all colors being reflected back to you.

You can work around this with a slightly larger font or using bold text but it will still have pink edges. You can see the effect of using bold when you hover over different items.

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Wayne, I see the white too. At first it looks pink but you can tell it is white - especially when you hover over the link and see the brighter-red background.

10. lordtopcat

lordtopcat Adept

First Name:
    Jamie
    Is there something wrong with my display? This is what I get in the NavBar

11. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

Your display is correct. You aren't seeing what they were seeing. I've put in another update.

I now have a button display for unregistered guests and for the logged-in user. Have advanced to the next bang-head-on-desk moment, the unregistered buttons aren't displaying for unknown reasons. The logged-in buttons are fine. I've checked for missing tags ... maybe I'm the one who's missing a brain cell.

So I could use advice on that, too, now. I will probably try making some new buttons this morning and see what that does.

I tried putting both on a blank html page to see them without all the surrounding code, and it's the same thing. One set of buttons displays, the other doesn't. I don't have enough experience with the things to know where to look first.

Don't know if permissions will let you see these ...

the bad-display unregistered diplay buttons

the working logged-in buttons

And here's a temporary login to see it that way
    username JustTesting
    password k87#gm2

Thanks - I appreciate the advice !! :)

12. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    It looks very good. No problems for me on the live forum.

I like the little test pages with the functioning examples.

13. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

For those kind enough to take a look ... it appears that all images I've uploaded since I added the not-logged-in viewer buttons are having display issues. There are also some jpg's having issues (nothing to do with the buttons.) Ticket submitted to the server host.

The logged-in viewer buttons are displaying as they should.

For today I intend to plow on with other things and hope server support waves a magic wand to fix the button display ... :)

You know it's not creating things that takes so much time, it's all the stuff that has to be fixed. :rolleyes:

(I can still edit this ... ) It appears that all images I've uploaded since 5/18 are corrupted, including the button gifs, and all before are fine. Pursuing ideas with the host. I don't know of any changes that would have caused this. I've always uploaded with SmartFTP.

Same button gif file from old upload on 5/11
    http://www.barntalk.modelhorseblab.com/zbtnav1/ebbtcbinsmenu1_1.gif
    from new upload today (5/20)
    http://www.barntalk.modelhorseblab.com/whatis_files/zbtnav1/ebbtcbinsmenu1_1.gif

14. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Looks like the images were uploaded in ASCII transfer mode instead of Binary.

15. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

So true. I always have it set on Auto, but completely forgot that I set it on ASCII to correct a hole-nother issue ...

But the not-logged-in buttons are there now. They just don't yet go anywhere. :)