Missing thumbnail in RSS feed when submitted as sitemap

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by kev, Jun 24, 2009.

1. kev

kev Regular Member

In the google webmaster tools you can submit your forums RSS feed as a sitemap. This means you can submit the feed from each forum section as its own separate sitemap.

The problem is, google reports errors with the VB RSS feed.
    Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

I submitted 3 RSS feeds as a sitemap to google webmaster tools. For some reason 2 of the feeds are reported as MRSS Feed - those 2 are reporting errors.

1 feed is reported as as RSS Feed and its working just fine.

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Is there some benefit to using the RSS feeds as opposed to the sitemap generator?

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Hm, I never knew you could do that. I wonder if it is recommended or not? I'm going to go ask on the vBSEO support forum. :D

4. kev

kev Regular Member

I submitted a site map - that is updated every day - almost 2 years ago. When my sitemap got messed up (a couple of months ago) google delisted 280,000 of my indexed pages.

So I am trying to set the rss feeds up as a backup submission service. That way, if the sitemap goes down again, something is still being submitted directly to google.

5. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I see, but is there any danger they'll mistake it for duplicate content? (I have no idea.)

6. kev

kev Regular Member

I dont know. I have submitted one RSS feed as a sitemap. Google keeps rejecting most of my RSS feeds saying they are a multimedia feed, instead of a regular RSS2 feed.

Out of about 6 or 7 rss2 feeds I submitted, google says they are MRSS, and rejects them. The vbulletin XML feed, google says its an invald feed type and rejects it.

So I am just gonna sit back and see what that one feed does over the next few days and weeks.