Legal "Used" Licenses?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by OneUpDave, Jun 26, 2009.

1. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Right now I don't have a job, but when I do get one, I was thinking about getting a copy of vB to play around with, or possibly even change one of my sites to it from phpBB (bleh!). Are there such things as used licenses, or will I have to pay full price? I wouldn't mind spending a whole paycheck on some vB stuff, but if I could save money, that'd just be peachy.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. John

John Regular Member

People sell their license for much less then an new one so you just have to look after someone who does.

3. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Best source of second-hand vBulletin licenses seems to be WebHostingTalk. They verify the legitimacy of the license before allowing it to be listed. Only owned licenses can be transferred to new owners so if you look elsewhere, always verify it with vBulletin Support before giving the seller any money.

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

http://forum.vBulletinSetup.com is legitimate as well. When a scammer is caught on the site, I think Brandon makes it clear who the user is and then permanently bans them. He really watches out for everybody.

Besides, most of the people there are pretty well-known in the vB community. I've never had any problems there.

5. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Thanks for the suggestions! Those prices look a bit more reasonable for someone who will be on a college student budget.

I look forward to entering the highly-acclaimed world of vB soon.

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Remember to ask how much time is left on the license before renewal; the closer to needed renewal, the less you should pay.

7. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Ok, so I'm a bit confused as to how Owning/Leasing works. Reading from the site, you still pay $60/yr if you purchase an Owned license, but is that just to get release updates and stuff? Support? Other?

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

The $60 is for access to upgrades/updates (except security patches for your version). Support is always free; there is no update fee.

If you pay the renewal within 60 days of expiry, the fee is only $40. Anytime thereafter, it's $60.