Jelsoft a little stuck on themselves?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by kev, Oct 22, 2009.

1. kev

kev Regular Member

Went to vbulletin.com this morning, clicked on the forum link, and it took me to

best-forum-software.com

Nobody likes a show off or a bragger. Using the name "best forum software" shows a lack of good sportsmanship towards the competition, and makes it look like they are bragging.

I am here by ashamed that my forum uses vbulletin software.

Are they too good to use their company name? Jelsoft has to use the name "best forum software"? Talk about a load of carp.

2. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

I like nothing at all about the way this lot do business. They are like a bunch of silly teenagers (sorry to all teenagers who are probably better businessmen anyway!).

It's the sort of URL I'd expect a kid in their bedroom to come up with. I really hope they aren't going to use that permanently.

It's not even very good syntax-wise - you should always avoid hyphens in domain names, IMO.

3. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

There's nothing shameful about using vbulletin solutions software. I feel they are still the best contrary to me shutting one of my hobby sites down or about to any day now that uses the vbulletin software.

I still have 1 more site that I think will be using their software.

4. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

I think people are way overreacting here. Using the 'best' as a slogan isn't exactly that arrogant, I think I used it for things multiple times in the past, and vBulletin, at least at the moment does sort of deserve the label.

Nah, I'm more annoyed how long this upgrade is taking. Yeah, early morning or whatever for the USA means right in the middle of the day over here, and due to seeing their message 'yesterday'...

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

The image has a squirrel...?

... I lol'ed.

6. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

5 Hours is the estimated time. If the servers went offline at 3:00 a.m. Pacific as planned, than they should be back online at 8:00 a.m. Pacific provided nothing turns up in the QA scrub at the end of the upgrade.

Other than that, I can't seem to get too emotional over a temporary maintenance page no matter what the URL is.

7. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

8 am PST is 11 am EST. 2 more hours. kewl

FWIW I like that maintenance page.

8. kev

kev Regular Member

How would the fans react if the Dallas Cowboys started using the domain name - "the best football team"? You think the fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers would get a little ticked off?

Would it be ok if Ford started using the domain name "the best truck"? As a Toyota owner, it would be more like a joke that Ford dares to call itself the "best" truck.

I figure people that use other forum software will get a good laugh out of this. "Vbulletin, the best forum software? lololol, yea right."

VB is a quality product, but using the name "best" in a domain name is out of line for any company. Regardless if it was ford, toyota, nissan, the dallas cowboys,,,, or anyone else, a company bragging about the quality of its product in such a blatant manner is out of line.

It shows a lack of morals, ethics and values.

9. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I'm sure that one ball team couldn't care less if another ballteam got upset. I wouldn't.
    Hey if you think you're the best, then tell it.

psssssttt.. Kevin aren't you taking this a bit too seriously? Just sayin'.........

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Just like IPB says 'They are community experts'?

e.e Hmm, now that started to look like a skunk, D: but it still looks like a maniac squirrel.

Edit: Why would it be a skunk! Would they be saying sum sum stinks, it could be a maniacal skunk... It ha... IT IS A SKUNK!... I think... @_@

11. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

ROFL @ FMB

12. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Could be an under nourished groundhog.

*Hmmmm groundhogs*

13. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

I thought it was a chipmunk.

14. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

hahahah y'all are funny

15. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I think it is a skunk and it seems to be a reference to the Skunkworks division of Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks.

Skunk Works | Lockheed Martin

I know the CEO of Internet Brands is a big airplane buff. In fact the IB offices overlook the runways of L.A.X on three sides.

16. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Could even be a beaver. The slogan could go something like this

vbulletin - we will eat your wood. And swallow. (minimal requirements: 6 inches or more to run)

hmm yeah the sense of humour how bad as it is has just kicked in.

2 people like this.
  17. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Dude, settle down. You're taking this way too far. Number one, do you watch commercials often? If not, let me clue you in to something: People always claim they're the best. Number two, why would they not want to say they're the best? They're in business to make money, no? You do what you need to do to make money.

18. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

>< Well that through came across but chipmunks don't have the tail like that! :O e.e

It still looks maniacal! Also! When you apply the curves in PS, you see the skunk like pattern.

ACTUALLY! Maybe it can be a squirrel/skunk/groundhog/chipmonk maniac.

19. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

u_u Oh lawdy, i has a dirteh mind.

20. kev

kev Regular Member

I might very well be taking this a "little" too serious.

It appears to me that the people at vbulletin are changing things up too much - and too fast. People do not like change. And all of a sudden there are changes to the license, changes to the website, new domain name,,,,.

To help adjust to the change, people need to be given information and time to adjust to the changes. And neither of those things are happening.

When stuff like this happens, its usually because the company hired a new manager, or marketing head. They come in with all kinds of new ideas. The new person wants to show the company "what" they can do and justify their position - along with their pay check.

2 people like this.