Inviting a Moderator

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

When you decide you have found a great moderator candidate, what do you say when you PM them? In this case, it is a member who probably hasn't been a moderator before, so I would need to give some ideas as to what exactly a moderator does.

What would you recommend I say in my PM to this member?

Thanks.

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I would tell them I'd had my eye on them and was thinking they would make a great moderator, and ask if they were interested in the position. I would caution them that it isn't all fun and games, but that they would be helping to improve the site.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Pretty much what Michelle said, I'd list the reasons why they caught my eye, tell them my expectations and briefly what they have to do, lastly ask if they want the job or not.

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    I tell them that we have noticed and appreciated their activity on the forum and that we'd like to ask if they would like some additional responsibilities/privileges on the forum.

Then we let them know from there we move them into a "hall monitor" position (kind of like a moderator boot camp) and give them their limited extra abilities as we're really trying to see how they can help their subforum more so than police it.

If all goes well we promote them into the full role of moderator and give them access to the moderator forum. Up until then they are welcome to send PMs to staff for guidance/issues.

5. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
    I won't start speaking a load of garbage and yip yapping about how great they are.

Last I sent was,

6. MJB23

MJB23 Addict

This is what I say and I tell them what their responsibilities and duties are going to be and explain to them how to do their job on the staff.

I tell them to let me know if they have any questions and then I answer them thoroughly for them.

7. sooki

sooki Newcomer

First Name:
    Luke
    Just make sure to PM them and say you are candidate for a moderation position. Would you be interested and have you have you ever been a mod before.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Personally, I find your message to be too plain. It's missing some of what I consider to be important content: why this member is being considered for a moderator position, what a moderator position is, what their duties may entail, and finally, asking if they are interested.

My moderator invitations are anything but brief because I want the candidate to know what exactly is being asked of them, and give it honest thought. I don't want somebody making the decision on a whim.

9. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

We dont invite moderators out of the blue, when a position is available, we advertise it, so the final PM is basically a "you got it" type thing.

10. Blake

Blake Regular Member

I would have a list of what is expected of moderators typed out. But I wouldn't send that first. Initially I'd contact the member, explain that we are looking to add a moderator (or a few) and thought he/she would be well qualified. Then I'd say something to the effect of "If this is something you'd like to consider I want to send you a few expectations and responsibilities of a moderator. You look over them, think about it, then get back with me and let me know if this is something you think you line up with."

Usually everyone was both honored and enthusiastic about it.

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Spot-on. This is exactly what I do. I have an expectations guide prepared, and if the candidate expresses interest, then I send the document to them.

12. Dave

Dave Regular Member

I think a members activity also helps on choosing a moderator...what ti mes of the day they log on etc etc contribute as well...then on our forums we try and h ave most of the day covered...so a member of staff is always about to ..

1 : moderate
    2 : help a member if needed.
    3 : shows a good force to spammers.

just my 2 penneth..:)