Insert obligatory salutation here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kgasso, May 25, 2010.

1. kgasso

kgasso Newcomer

Well, thought I should probably finally check in here.

I've been lurking around AA for a while, originally found it via Tapatalk after installing it on one of my own boards (a community-oriented forum).

Myself? Your average systems and network admin. I'll spare you all the stories about stupid users, exploding hardware, and 3:00am emergency server rebuilds.

Been doing the forum admin thing for a long time now. Technically, I think the first forum I ever used was some heap of crap I hacked together using Perl that just wrote to and truncated a big .html file. This was back when the web was still mostly text (images were not 9600bps modem friendly), we didn't need any fancy Flash animations, and the Netscape <BLINK> tag reigned (and annoyed) supreme!

My first REAL forum experience was with UBB. I'm talking about the version of UBB written in Perl that read in and wrote out individual .html files - and now that I think about it, it wasn't much better than my "heap of crap" web board that I wrote. I modified UBB to use a database backend once, but the need for the forum software at work went away and I let that project die. It was probably for the better anyway, I'm sure I somehow violated the license agreement.

Moved on to using Phorum when PHP became the new hotness. Just Googled it, and am surprised to see that it still exists.

Used vBulletin once about 6 years ago, when someone asked me to set up a site with it, and helped him with the moderation - no way I was gonna pay to license it myself, I'm cheap!

Been hacking phpBB for what seems like ages now. I tire of it's modification system. You know, the one where I manually install and merge files because phpBB doesn't have a real mod system. ;)

My latest project was launched using MyBB, and still learning it.

In conclusion, I've been doing this for WAY too long and probably need a break. Why am I here again? :lol:

2. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    Damn, sounds a bit like myself...
    I haven't done all you have, my first forum was a phpBB, but hey did I hate the mod system. And then the upgrades. Re-do all template mods. I know how you feel.
    Why did you choose MyBB over say SMF?
    And welcome.

3. kgasso

kgasso Newcomer

Mostly due to the licensing of SMF. I know folks who were bitten badly by IPB's similar "freeware, but can change at any time" licensing style. Not to imply that SMF will ever do that, but I'm wary of feeling locked into a product in that way.

MyBB seems like a good middle ground. :)

Thanks!

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Welcome to AA :)

5. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Howdy, welcome to AA.

6. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    Hey and welcome to AA from a former UBB user as well!