Input for an Intrament Solution Platform

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by MjrNuT, Jan 27, 2010.

1. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this, so please move it after I've done my best to describe.

I'm currently looking at an intranet option that is to be firstly started out as a Reference type portal. I say Reference, so the easiest thing to come to mind is Wiki.

Let me put some basic intended uses down first:

1. Searchable -- rich text and other possiblities

2. User/usergroup managed

3. Submission of code like using code tags

4. File upload/download - any type, images, archives, etc.

5. Categorization - moving w/o breaking links

The idea behind this is to be a single reference repository where users first go to VIEW content. Later to submit own content in some specified forum (i.e., description, example, result). Possibly a help desk where submit for assistance.

This is a project I've come to at implementing at work for fellow engineers to spread and share knowledge of their tools/methods/etc.

Thanks for any input on recommended platforms to achieve this. I welcome any further questions as I realize I did not provide everything. THis is purely brainstorming.

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Does a wiki not satisfy the needs you listed?

3. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

It's quite possible. I've not researched it thoroughly and my usage with Wiki is low.

I found this though -- Comparison of wiki software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm looking at what would be suitable plus can be expanded upon. It's to start out mostly static, reference type material, but later potential for updates and interaction.

I wonder if anyone here has an intranet site (realized I misspelled the thread title) of this type of nature that wouldn't mind sharing.

4. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I think I may be using a combination of Share Point (Active Directory) and MediaWiki for this.

As I get into this, I'll be sure to share my experience.

Biggest hurdle is user control granularity.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Interesting. Be sure to keep us updated! :)