How can IPB improve skinning?

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by BamaStangGuy, Nov 18, 2009.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

It seems IPB has the biggest flaw here. It is so much harder to skin for than vBulletin. What do you think they can do to get better in this area?

2. David

David Regular Member

It was compared to vB3, but vB4 seems to be taking over as more complicated to skin.

I think they have way to much php and trash in their templates and need to find a way to move it all out and provide phrases like vBulletin does.

IPB Skinning was really the only area of complaint for me when I had an IP.Board license. But I guess after a while I would have got used to it

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I'm not a designer, so obviously have nothing to do with skinning, but from what I remember of when I used IPB 2.x, the templates always baffled me. It was so different that vBulletin's templates (which were so easy in 3.x) and I just never dealt with them. :shrug:

4. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    3 people like this.
  5. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

6. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Indeed a nice link. I think that link needs to be stickied in the ipb area here with other informative links that could be added along side this in the future.

7. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Yeah, the last time I spoke to a developer I was told they might come up with a similar guide or just use that and credit the author. Works a treat actually.

8. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

9. MattMecham

MattMecham Novice

I have a couple of ideas to enable you to make sweeping 'simple' changes for future versions.

Right now our skin uses CSS quite heavily. This is good because you can make major changes to the layout without tweaking the HTML but the downside is a steep learning curve to locate all the item locations.

10. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Yes I love that thread. I just got to get over the learning curve from going from vB3 to IP.Board.

11. combus

combus Addict

First Name:
    Jorge
    IPB isn't that hard to style at all, I checked how themes were done and it has some stuff I do liked very well (like some variables parsed on the CSS), and the templates mainly differ because they are not exported on an XML but a HTML doc separated by comments, but is not a headache.

For the vB 4 side, I think it is extremly hard to work with it, since you had to go to each class (from the billion list) and try to make what you want on the crappy box with some attributes. I'm wondering why don't they have some sort of advanced editing tab (like MyBB) to manually edit the CSS.

12. Grizzly

Grizzly Regular Member

Yeah, the skinning is quite hard. That guide is nice and I think I may try to skin one myself. Does IPB allow a privately accessible (only me and staff members) testing installation on the same domain (well, test.domain.tld)? I don't want to start testing on my live forum. I just transferred over from MyBB and MyBB's skinning system is SO EASY.

13. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    Yes, your IPB license allows you to run a test site in a password-protected directory.

14. Grizzly

Grizzly Regular Member

Thanks Mike!!!I 'm looking to pick up a used IPB license as well, know any good places to grab one?

15. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    I don't know of any used licenses floating around just now. I imagine events and circumstances with that other forum software has led to IPB licenses getting snapped up pretty quickly.

You might check at Digital Point, though.

16. kaambiz

kaambiz Novice

First Name:
    kaambiz
    you might wanna check this out as well: Invisionize (have to register)