Help Me: Image Uploading Sizes - what do you use?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Dan, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    On all my forums I love to see the members uploading photo's of their work. Our construction forums have lots of before/after bathrooms and kitchens and what-not, and I often get lots of emails regarding my image size limits.

Now, my view was this.

Why do I let people upload images bigger than most PC screen resolutions.

Cameras the lads buy these days are often pretty good, and their standard high quality picture setting they normally come with is the setting they roll with so to speak. (They're old remember lol).

And I'd like to up my photo size limits. To help them.

So; what image sizes do you use for your photo album limits and general uploading limits when it comes to images.

We're on a very big server, and I don't mind the costs of hosting and bandwidth, but I don't want to encourage the lads to use the biggest picture size, as you need to zoom in even with IE and scroll around to see the whole bathroom or whatever.

Can you help please lads and ladies?

2 people like this.
  2. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

1440 X 900 is what I allow as the maximum dimensions. Usually about a megabyte in file size. Luckily I use vBulletin so it will resize the images automatically to fit within my requirements.

2 people like this.
  3. David

David Regular Member

I usually give mine about double what Wayne gives vBulletin can automatically resize them, and then you can also use a few other image resizing modifications to shrink them down.

I'm on a widescreen and hate whenever people post small pictures due to limits or fixed skins. I usually don't make a fuss about it, or stop visiting sites because of it, it just drives me off a wall I can't use all my monitor when browsing/viewing stuff :D

2 people like this.
  4. Dave

Dave Regular Member

Nice one... i use a cybershot and the set pic size is 2598 x 1593..simmit like that and when i resize them it takes alot of the pic away...

So if we can use a higher image size then that would be great...

Any more replies to dans query would be good please..

2 people like this.
  5. kneel

kneel Regular Member

cant help on this man...99% of my users use tags and link pics from like photobucket or sumthing...then i have a hack on vb that re-sizes them...

as far as the few albums we have...i'd go with what wayne said...most people have a decent size wide screen monitor these days...myself, I have a 22'' and a 19'' hp flat panel...so pic size dont really affect me..

2 people like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I'm usually very lenient on my image restrictions, so as not to annoy my members with the need to resize pictures in order to post them. I've been known to set crazy limits like 3000 pixels and 10 MB.

I have added a little notice in the image uploading window asking users to resize their images to 800x800 before uploading (which also reduces the filesize), but it isn't a requirement. A lot of them do it, and I appreciate that.

7. kneel

kneel Regular Member

I agree totally. I like the fact the I let them use bigger avatars...and i dont really complain when they use a bigger sig...i've only had to tell 2 people to make their sig pics smaller (linked).. :devil:

we're a pretty tight nit community right now...so its all good...

8. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I don't always set a limit (it can depend on the skin), but if I do it's usually around 600 px wide.