Google Running Feedback Experiment That’s Similar To Human Quality Rater Test

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Brandon, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Google has long asked searchers to provide feedback on the quality of its search results, and often runs a number of tests aimed at encouraging such feedback. The latest such experiment, which seems to have been live for at least a month or so, is a bit different because it asks searchers for feedback only on certain results.
    Eli Schwartz recently shared with us a screenshot after doing a search for [product synonym]. As you can see below, Google is using the open space on the right of the results page to ask “Which result do you prefer?”

google-feedback-test.jpg

What’s most interesting is that Google isn’t asking for general feedback on the search results page as a whole; it’s specifically pulling out two of the results — and not the top two. In this case, Google is specifying the third and fourth links and asking the searcher to “visit both pages before choosing.”

read more: http://searchengineland.com/google-feedback-experiment-which-result-142872

2. jyri

jyri Regular Member

Hmmm very interesting. I really hope that eventually we will have the search engine that Google is aiming to be, but minus the ads ;).

Then finally good content and some limited promotion might actually be more worth while than so-so content and mass promotion.

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    There will always be ads, and tbh, google adwords is a pretty good deal for website owners who want to generate traffic for their sites.

4. jyri

jyri Regular Member

That is true. I actually meant to comment on the paid search results that Google is putting on top of the organic SERPs. I mean, I saw a study where a huge percentage of people could not make a distinction of what is an organic and what is a paid ranking.

And that is easy to understand, try to type some real estate or mortgage or similar keywords and you can see as many as 3 or even more paid search results BEFORE the top organic result is visible (almost bellow the fold!).