Force Registration in order to download a file

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by gnatster, Jul 6, 2009.

1. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    As a service to my members I've been hosting the latest episodes of Top Gear for them to download instead of having to deal with a torrent. I've been polite and asked those no registered to do so, but of course they are not. How can I limit the download to only those that are registered?

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Maybe you should create a forum just for posts of this type, and make it invisible to guests? Or is the point to have it visible to guests, just not able to download?

3. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I do want to have it visible by all, just have to be registered to download.

I could create a hidden area that only registered members could see and create a post in a visible area with a link. Then guests would be prompted to register in order to access that area but that seems like a hokey way to accomplish the goal.

I thought about using attachment permissions, but that would cause issues in other areas. Plus the file is 700MB in size. In order to allow that I'd have to open up to much to other areas.

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

If your users don't pass the download link (if you have the file hosted externally) on to their friends or post it elsewhere, you can use a spoiler BB code or something, and only show the contents of the spoiler to registered members. Show text that says "You must be registered to view the download" to unregistered members.
    Just like on vBorg, if you are unlicensed or not logged in, you can't view the contents of the code BB tag.

5. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

In the vBulletin Admin CP...

Attachments -> Attachment Permissions.

Remove permissions to download that file type from Guests.