ExtremeTeenForums

Discussion in 'Community Showcase' started by Donkey, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
  2. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

I got an anxiety attack when looking at the forum. I think it was because it was to bright.

I am not saying that to be mean either. I really got short of breath and my heart hurt. hahah But I actually like the colors. There is a forum that this looks a lot alike.

3. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
    Haha, yeah. There is another theme which is slightly darker when you sign up though.

We hope to change the themes for different seasons, and as it's summer...

4. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

The grey is a little hard to read against the extreme brightness of the white and orange.

5. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

I noticed your favicon, which I liked. Maybe have a skin to match the colors of it?

On my screen the colours were blinding, so I didn't even look at the forum because it was hurting my eyes.

6. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
    Wow you really think it's that bad, huh?

I'll look into another.

7. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

When I say it gave me an anxiety attack I was being serious :lol:

I don't know why...I think because it was just so bright. Like I said I actually like the colors but it really hurt to look at. Sorry haha

8. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    Dare I say it's far too bright? And at the top of the forum (as an unregistered visitor) there is quite a bit of empty space. Perhaps you could use that space somehow?

The links to the actual forum categories are too bright. I strain to see them. Make them a bit darker and you might get away with the bright orange everywhere else?
    Hope that helps.

2 people like this.
  9. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

First Impression: WOA WOA WOA! My eyes…. Soooo bright.
    Forum Content
    Quantity of Forums: Looks ok!
    Content: I sort of expect it for the posts to be short and low quality, but I actually read some interested unnecessary information [Lol… The thread caught my eyes] for my innocent brain to take… No worries, the information was…deep and very useful for those…guys that have that problem… ANYWHO! The information given on your site is useful for teens and actually makes the statement “we are here for you, to help you”. Other than that, nothing else really interested me.
    Forum Design
    Favicon: Looks ok, but doesn’t really match your forum.
    On, Off, Lock Icons: MyBB default? Really? Come on, it’s a teen forum; you have to have personality, make it look interesting.
    Design: The design overall does not appeal that much. Looks like you just added the skin and changed the header…which is what you did. Default MyBB icons??? Come on, I mean they are good looking, not as horrible as the vB ones, but it’s a teen forum, filled with personalities…not sunshines…
    The design overall is very boring and not very encouraging, some of the icons are too big [ranks]. I would say get a design or hire a designer for it. It’s supposed to be round corners with an inside edge, but on the showthread the edge goes out of the rounded image. The logo/header doesn’t look that good either, but looks ok, also, too much white dude. Gray and orange there do not mesh that good.
    It’s a teen site, give it something fun, though don’t overdo it. I dislike that you still have the default “post Reply” “New Thread” buttons but in another color, give the site some personality.

Overall Opinion: The site is well done, not design wise, but well done nonetheless. It does give you the vibe [once you read the threads] that the site is really a teen forum and to help. I’d say improve the site’s design so it goes well with what it is, a teen forum.

10. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
    Thanks for the advice.

I spent a lot of time yesterday getting to grips with the myBB template editing system and switched around some postbit templates a little along with some changes to the profile designs.

I'll make the links and fonts darker too so they're easier to see.

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

The orange really does not suite the topic of the site. I wouldn't go to a teen forum that reminds me of the Prairie show...

12. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
    Okay so I've changed the theme a bit.

13. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Like others, my first impression is "Bright!"

While I like the aspect that it's supposed to go with the summer season, I do think that green is a bit too bright. I think a green mixed with another color could be more feasible, but just that green is a little too much.

I like the activity. The forum seems fairly active and the users seem very inviting and welcoming! I really like the rank badges and the rounded corners. The colors of the rank badges match really well with the (default) skin!

I like the header image and that favicon! The post indicators (on and off buttons) are default, just with a color splash. They're nice. The buttons are nice as well!

I'm also liking those statistics!

In conclusion, your site is great. The skin is not my forte, but it's something I will get used to. I also joined your site, I've been looking for a relatively new site for teens; or one with a low post count.

Good luck, can't wait to get to know everyone!

14. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
    Thanks, Tom! :D

The theme was actually orange/yellow before which may have been a little too bright. We toned the brightness down a little and made it green, trust me, if you saw it before.. haha.

Thanks for the review :)

15. Tom

Tom Regular Member

No problem, Donk! :lol:

16. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

The green is almost as bad as the yellow one, it's a change nonetheless.

17. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I think if you're going to use colors that bright, you need some real artwork/design, not just a few rounded corners. Something very modern that will repel the adults and attract the teens: skaters, grunge, vector graphics, etc.

18. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I SOOOOO agree

19. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
    :/

I don't think that's the type of forum we are. I'm looking into more neutral greens for a theme now.

20. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

You guys are a TEEN forum.... =\ Not the Happy California cows forum?

As she said, if you're going to use bright colors you need artwork, not boring stuff. I'm a teen and it repels me!