Donation Progress Hack?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Peacelily, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Has anyone used this or have they seen another one that serves the same purpose?

Donation Progress Bar-Forumhome - vBulletin.org Forum

This was written for 3.6

We would like to increase visibility of our need for donations (or not, if we have the $$) but I wonder if this is the best way?

Thanks for your experience

2. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

3. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Ryan, question for you on that one. I've been using it. Have like it until trying to explain and use it for subscriptions.

afaik, i have the prerequisites correctly...but I'll just ask first, are you using the subscription feature and if so, is it working to your liking?

Thanks!

Edit: Peacelily, I do like Cyb's plugin, but it has some quirks with regards to how you might want to provide information using the bar. It has some automated features, but its not as automagick as most people would like it to be. If you have some specific questions, I could try to tackle them from my experience at least.

4. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

No, I'm not using that particular feature at the moment.

5. Tom

Tom Regular Member

I've seen it used on many forums, and I think it promotes the idea of donating for whatever reason. If you're members love the forum, and if they are interested in donating for the cause, it will work.

6. menj

menj Regular Member

I am using this plugin for my forum and this one certainly fits the OP's requirements :)

7. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Agreed that if you want an easy visual, it works. It will show your current state of progress, and if you exceed the monthly goal, it will show that +%.

Tt has some other features that are useful.

One thing though, I was not able to setup Subscriptions to work properly. By that I mean, I had the setting correct to display: amt|months ($10|3) and my paypal account was set to Premiere. However, on the Paypal end, it just didn't work. For all I know, it could have been a PEBKAC of the donor. lol

In addition, there are no reminders or anything of that sort. You can display how much is donated per user, if you like. It also allowed for usergroup basis access, i.e., Guests could use it and it worked.

Recnetly, in my case, I disabled the CYB plugin and have now switched to using the built in vB system. I've setup some 1x and Subs methods. Couple experience issues that maybe some of you could comment on:

Note, I have two different emails specified, 1 for the forum and 1 for the primary account. The forum one is linked to the primary account though.

1) 1x payments are notified to the forum email

2) Subs are notified to the primary email.

Whats up with that?

Now, it doesn't seem that the vB system will allow Guests to perform donor actions. Can someone confirm as I've scoured the ACP as much as I can?

Anyone care to share their methods, plugins, hacks, etc.?

Thanks!

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I think you have to enter the notification e-mail address for each individual subscription. Check the settings for each one, and adjust them accordingly.
    Correct, guests cannot use the vBulletin subscriptions system. The only alternative is to place a PayPal "donate" button somewhere on your site, such as in the footer.

I've always simply used the built-in paid subscription manager with an additional "Donate" button (via PayPal, as mentioned above) for users who don't want to display their Premium Member status.

2 people like this.
  9. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Nick,

Thanks for your reply. Makes alot of sense.

Coincidentally, I was poking around in my Options and found "Paid Subscriptions" and entered an email address there as it was designated for "submitted or reverted" subscriptions. I think that covers what I experienced now.