Crawlability For IP.Board

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by BamaStangGuy, Dec 23, 2009.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I don't see it happening but I RT'd it anyways
    Twitter / Brandon Sheley: RT @BamaStangGuy: VBSEO ne ...
    I don't actaulyl mind the built in SEO options for IPB, I've been tinkering around and pretty much have things how I want.
    I'll remove the /forum/ and /topic/ from the URL's tonight and start working on the style asap.

3. BamaStangGuy

Me either. It wouldn't surprise me to find out Internet Brands is paying vBSEO to remain exclusive to vBulletin.

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    hehe

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  5. BamaStangGuy

Be interested in what you have learned so far from using it.

6. BamaStangGuy

Yea, I'm not usually one to throw conspiracy theories around but vBSEO is pimping out vBulletin too much. I mean, just look at their header. If that isn't a sales pitch for vBulletin I don't know what is. Internet Brands has everything to lose if vBSEO goes to IP.Board. and some cash to vBSEO to keep them loyal is nothing to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've learned the the folks at the IPB support forum don't really seem to care about SEO.
    I'm not in a hurry, but I'm slowly optimizing my site, and was flat out laughed at when I said I wanted to remove the sitename from post and categories.
    Like changing this thread from
    IPB - AdminAddict
    to just
    IPB
    saying it would have a negative effect..lol

8. BamaStangGuy

You should talk with mattmecham (mattmecham) on Twitter I have found him to be very helpful. Might want to address your concerns with their forum helpfulness as well.

9. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

Hey, here's an idea.

Why stop supporting one product and go to another?

Do both. Double your profit.

Trust me, I don't really get why Game Publishers do "console exclusives" either.

10. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

My guess is the game devs get a discount licensing fee for exclusive titles and they probably get some kind of kick back from the platform's manu.
    --
    On topic, IPB is a totally different beast than vBulletin. Sure they both basically do the same thing and are php/mysql powered but it would take a lot of resources to learn IPB inside and out like I'm the devs at vBSEO already know vBulletin.

In fact the time investment in relearning everything for IPB is the biggest thing stopping me from changing platforms.

11. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

Looking at it from a business perspective... I really think it would be extra profitable to move to other systems, in addition to vBulletin, no matter the learning curve.

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Not if they are being paid by IB to remain exclusive. ;) Depending on their figures, what they make with IPB sales might not make up for the IB-exclusivity-bonus that they would no longer get.

13. Mike

Mike Adept

First Name:
    Mike
    Brent, I replied on your thread at vBSEO (in spite of the objections from Globus ;)). This isn't the first time a thread like that has been raised, however.

As for Matt Mecham, he visits here when he has the time, so if he's not already seen this thread, I'm confident he soon will.

From discussions I've had with some of the IPB people, I think they are taking SEO seriously. But Rome wasn't built in a day. Nor was vBSEO. So it will take time to make improvements to the native IPB code.

Some of the IPB admins seem to not care about SEO, which is entirely up to them. I don't understand their seeming indifference, but to each his own.

But I think we need to make the distinction between how the IPB customers view SEO options and how the IPB staff members view them.

14. MattMecham

MattMecham Novice

I'm on a semi-holiday until the new year, so please excuse this short message tapped out on my blackberry.

We do take SEO very seriously and we're taking advice from a consultant who works in the industry. That said, I think there is still room for a major app like VBSEO to enhance the features we add. Priced competitively, I'm sure it would sell well.

I'd love to speak with the VBSEO team. Mert and I have spoken briefly and I'll follow that up next week.

Will monitor the situation closely.

2 people like this.
  15. BamaStangGuy

Good to hear. I still have a lot to get used to and try to break away from my vBulletin ways.

16. Rocket 442

Rocket 442 Ambitious, but Rubbish

First Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for taking the time to update us Matt.

I know Brent wants to talk to you after your holiday and I do as well. I'm about 75% set on switching but have a couple concerns and questions.

I've been scouring the IPB forum to see how other vB converts have felt so far.

17. MattMecham

MattMecham Novice

No problem. I'm back at my desk on monday 4th so we can sort a time for an IM conversation or phone call. I have a US line in my office.