Can your mods/admins handle server problems?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Soliloquy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

My mods are great about handling spam and problem members, but when it comes to taking care of the server and database they don't have a clue. I would like them to learn a few things, just in case I'm not around sometime when a problem crops up, but I don't think they've quite got the level of computer savvy necessary or the time to learn a new set of skills. What would you do in such a situation?

2. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    No hands on my server except me. Too much risk involved.

3. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

My mods don't want anything to do with the server and I'm not about to force them to learn - they'd probably quit! :D I met a guy on the site who knows servers and I trust him and asked him if he would mind having all the server info just in case. I also got him a support account with my host so he can put in support tickets. He's great and it took a load off my shoulders to know that one other person with some server knowledge has the keys to the kingdom, so to speak.

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I don't think I'd ever allow moderators root-level access to a server - on a reseller level, possibly, but root? I don't think so.

When it comes to allowing administrators access, I think it really depends on the situation. For example: if I were partnered with two other administrators, I would indeed allow them complete root access. Seeing as I would have to trust both of these individuals to a major extent to begin with, giving them such information would not be a problem. If we're all equally contributing to a project, this is perfectly fine.

If I were not partnered with an administrator (or administrators), then no, I would most likely not allow them access.

5. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I get server support from my hosting provider. If there is an issue while I am away, I can contact them with my cellphone, either by calling or via the web. Don't really need someone else. If I don't have my cellphone with me than something is drastically wrong and the server can wait.

6. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I have never given my moderators this kind of access, not only because I would feel at extreme risk of doing so, but because I think they would want nothing to do with it.

7. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

One of my admins is familiar enough with the vBulletin ACP to handle pretty much anything vB can throw at him. My other admin doesn't know so much but I'm teaching him little by little.

Both administrators are 'trusted contacts' with my host and have their own logins to the support area with them and can open tickets as if they were me. So that's good to go should I be away and something goes on.

If I'm away for an extended period I normally give one of my supermods FTP access he's a web developer and I have confidence that he can run an upgrade script without breaking anything. ;) I do likewise for him and watch over his servers when he's away for an extended period.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I don't usually have co-admins unless it is a venture that we started together. In this case, we are both technically-savvy and therefore both have equal root access.

I definitely would not give moderators access to anything behind-the-scenes like the database. On my forum, none of them would have a clue as to what to do, anyways.

I'm in complete agreement with everything Chris posted.

9. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

On SD I handle the behind-the-scenes.

10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer Newcomer

First Name:
    Will
    I travel a lot, so my admins have to be able to do pretty much anything without me.

Two of my admins have root access to the server and can login via SSH and fix whatever needs to be fixed. The third isn't interested in that side of the project.

11. kev

kev Regular Member

Letting someone take care of the server means they probably have full access to your account - I can not allow that.

If I have problems, I contact the hosting provider.

12. Tom

Tom Regular Member

As Nei said, she handles the back-end of Setsou Design. So yes, my fellow administrator can, as can I, though I never step foot.

On Bird is the Word, all both of us have the server information. We both allow ourselves to access everything.

However, moderators will, and probably never be able to access those things, unless we have a high trust in one another.

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

My thoughts exactly.

I wonder though, if we were to give a moderator server access, wouldn't it be more appropriate to consider them an administrator?

14. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'd say so. Or at least a member of the management or technical team.

15. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Not necessarily.

Not everybody has to know they have the access to the back-end.

Honestly, I think the members could care less; as long as they're getting the privilege to post and visit the forums, that's all they care about. ;)

16. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Why would anyone give a mod access to the server without them knowing or being trained for it?

17. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

I have one person who has been a saint. He doesn't post much, but if I ever have a problem, which is constantly, he fixes it. I don't think my forum would still exist without him.

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Ahh, yes because everybody is angelic and means no harm, right? Just like it's safe to leave our front doors wide open through the depths of the night and while we're at work and not home, knowing that no human being would ever dare enter somebody else's house and steal something?

Seriously - people aren't like that. If you give them access they are 1) definitely going to find it - you can't hide it from them and, 2) will abuse it.

19. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Good point.

However, I still do agree that it means of no big deal that a user has back-end access.

20. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Okay, well hopefully you get lucky and don't run into any trouble. ;)