Building websites for hire

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by LuckY, Sep 13, 2009.

1. LuckY

LuckY Newcomer

First Name:
    Nick
    I've had a few people contact me to do free lance websites. Just simple informational type deals for there business or whatever.

My question is how do you go about hosting the site and buying the domain? Do you put that information in the clients name or use your own resources?

My problem is if I add this client to my server, what happens if I want to get rid of that server and don't purchase another?

Thanks for the comments in advance

2. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I would think that this is a situation that you would really need to think about.

I used to host websites for people that share the same hobbies as I do, but eventually I could not afford to do that anymore, and I had to tell everyone that they would need to find a new host.

They always had their own domain names, and any software would be in their names, so it's not like I had to transfer anything to them.

Just because you build their website doesn't mean that you need to host it. You could request sign in credentials for their webspace, and you could build them directly there. :)

BTW, WELCOME! :)

3. LuckY

LuckY Newcomer

First Name:
    Nick
    Thanks for your response. In my experience I'm finding I'm building websites for people that have no knowledge of hosting or domains. So they don't really know how to set it up or even buy it. How do you approach that situation? It would make sense to say, you buy it and give the log in details and go from there.

4. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    If you'd like to approach it that way, I'm sure that would be perfectly acceptable. :)

Are you working mostly with friends and family, or is it strangers on the 'net?

5. LuckY

LuckY Newcomer

First Name:
    Nick
    Strangers mostly. It's kind of like a friend of a friend thing right now while I'm in school :D

6. torque

torque Regular Member

I would work into the price of building it the cost for domain/hosting - maybe even if you try to find a seperate reseller account where you can put all of these sites that you are making.

7. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Just make sure you get paid up-front! ;)

I'd most likely walk them through the process of purchasing a domain and hosting before buying it yourself and then transferring it to them.

What if after you've built it they decide to back out? What if they realize that $5.95/mo sounds great, but they didn't realize that they had to get it in one year intervals?

Too many questions.

Bottom line, if someone is that ignorant of how some of these things are done, maybe they shouldn't have their own website until they learn a little more. <-- My personal opinion.

8. jrs1939

jrs1939 Newcomer

First Name:
    J R
    I am new to vBulletin issues, but websites are a little more familiar. I have developed and maintained websites for some time.

I always own the domain name and charge one half in advance for developing the site based on just exactly what the customer wants.
    Post test sites for them to see before their site goes live.
    Collect remainder of fee for developing the site before it goes live.
    Register and host with GoDaddy because they are available 24/7 and have always helped with any problem I had.
    Bill at least one month in advance based on agreement for hosting and maintenance requirements when site is developed.
    Offer a slight discount for quarterly or annual payments in advance with extra expenses based on extra maintenance activity.
    Never allow customer to perform maintenance to the site.
    The number of emails do they need.
    Insist that all requests be by email no more than once a week, once a month, or whatever period you feel appropriate. Additional requests will result in additional expense.
    Document everything as it happens and keep all emails for documentation

My initial communications about a new website consist mostly of the customer outlining exactly what they want or me asking the questions to develop that information. How many pages are needed. This is also an early opportunity to discuss what I will and will not do which will usually save a lot of grief in the future. I ask them the colors they prefer. This is a good time to discuss the appropriate domain name. An acronym may be better than a four word name. Do they want statistics, ecommerce? Etc.

From this point on, everything is by email. Email them a list of things needed to move forward. Get written outline from customer for website and content. Provide them a basic outline for them to flesh out if necessary. Set limits on updates and maintenance issues. Give them URL where the sample site will initially be located for inspection (this isn't risky because I own the domain name). Send any images they have in mind. Send them an outline of what the expenses will be, plus how and when they are to be paid.

I make sure the customer always understands that as long as I maintain the website, I will own the domain name and control where it is hosted. They are welcome to take control of the website and domain at no additional charge with the understanding that someone else will need to maintain the site.

There is always more to the process, but his is basically how I do it.

9. Randy

Randy Adept

First Name:
    Randy
    I do the same thing for a living. I host them on my server however they pay a monthly fee that i set and you give them the option to pick their own host however state that its easier to manage on your server and that you will not provide support or payment support for hosting technical issues.

The domain you give them the same basic option, pay for it themselves and manage it on their own or have them send you the money (i recommend $10 for fees) and then register it in their name. however if you pay for it yourself it should stay in your name not theirs.

10. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    I started out the same way. A few friends wanted a website, then a friends husband wanted a business one......etc..

It depends on how long you plan on sticking with it and how in depth you want to maintain things.

What I have found works is first to have a hosting company you can really work with. Open up the biggest account you can or think you will need. Call it your group rate account. Make it seperate from any person one you currently have.

Then it a matter of finding out what they want verses what you want to provide.

In my case I have clients from one spectrum to the other. Like a couple of friends. They have large familys, so I maintain there family website with Wordpress/Gallery so everyone can share a blog and upload pictures. Simple maintenance and upgrades

**Simple Flat Fee** Setup and maintained on my 'new' group account. I have the hosting account and was set up as admin contact for the domain (DNS) to access. They have the admin access for the CMS which is all they want.

Another client, one of those word of mouth, started off the same way and took it to the next step and wanted me to do his business account. Same thing. Set it up under my 'new' group account and when it started to grow easy transition to his own account where I have log in details to do necessary business.

It really is going to be what you want to do. Mine started with 9 people in 3 months and easily grew to over 30 in the first year. Which was more that I wanted.

If it's short term just through school then my suggestion is to set up individual accounts for each. Setup with your/their information and then transition to them when the time comes and you want to quit.