Any solution that can have members upload pics via Cell to vBulletin?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by ArnyVee, May 26, 2009.

1. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I want to have the capability of my members uploading cell phone pictures to my vBulletin site.

I've seen other sites that have the ability to do this (via custom pages) and I was wondering what they were using to do so.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Could this be done via attachments? i.e. view your site while on a mobile device, add attachment (browse -> upload) and voila?

I have absolutely no experience with mobile browsing, let alone functionality - so forgive any and all ignorance in this case.

3. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Nick, I don't think that is possible. But, I'll test that out. :)

Hopefully there can be a 'normal' way to do an upload to an email address which would post in a thread on the site.

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'm hoping so - I'd find use for that as well.

5. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

My hope is to have a solution which will allow for my members (and me, of course ;) ) to visit a Disney park or resort or restaurant and snap a pic and share it as a LIVE Diary or something. :)

Hopefully there is a solution.

6. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    That sounds like a really awesome idea. Do you spend a lot of time in Disney?

7. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I go at least twice a year as I'm within 3 hours driving distance here in South Florida.

But, I have members that go all the time. So, we could have updates throughout the year in a special "Diary Forum" or something. :D

8. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Arny, I've got a friend who might just know, I'll ask him to see if he knows of such a mod. :)

9. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Boss, that would be great. Please let me know if/when you hear anything! :thumbup:

10. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    I sent it off as soon as I posted that. I suspect I'll have something to present to you (hopefully) by tomorrow night. :)

11. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Very cool Boss..thank you sir! :thumbup:

12. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    "The only way possible is if their phone is using Windows Mobile, sounds like a good idea for a mod though."

13. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Blogs and User Albums...

The way I see it working is with MMS. I know there are MMS plugins for Joomla and Wordpress but haven't seen one for vBulletin as of yet. MMS doesn't care what type of phone you are using and is a common enough standard of sending pictures and video from one phone to another.

You could also use a simplified webpage just for uploading directly from the phone if it supports a modern mobile browser like Safari, Opera Mini or Internet Explorer Mobile because of the javascript requirements. Would need vBulletin 4.0 for that though.

14. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Wayne, so could I build a custom standalone page (with my header and footer?) and have an MMS script running in the 'body' of the page?

If this is possible, I would probably need some help with the script. I've noticed some on Hotscripts (mms2web.com - Free photo gallery for mobile multimedia MMS messages or Ruben Bolink) and around the net.

I wonder how much work it would be to do this. :confused:

15. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    I can imagine a method, but do phones have copy and paste?

16. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

My BlackBerry Bold has copy and paste for text and numbers. But, don't think it does for pictures. What were you thinkin' Boss?

17. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    A script for mobile phones that would upload to a directory on your site, provide the IMG codes and then they can just press a button or select something to copy and paste, go back to the thread and paste the IMG codes.

18. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

That's a little more involved than what I had in mind. But, it seems like that almost makes sense to me.

I'd like for them to snap the picture, click on the set MMS email address for the site and then click send. Then, the picture would show in the WDB LIVE section or something. Although, I'd love it if the picture being submitted would start a thread or something like that.

19. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    The iPhone will soon. If you've signed up for the developer plan you already have it. But that's just the iPhone.

20. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

It would be a little more involved. MMS is a service offered by most cellphones to send pictures to one another. Surprisingly, it seems the iPhone doesn't support MMS at this time but will in version 3.0 of their OS.

If you have a programmer on call, I would suggest have him look at MMS plugins for Joomla and Wordpress. That should get him started. Here is a general article on the concept: Receiving MMS Messages with a PHP Script: HTTP File Upload Post