Administrators Giving Themselves Reputation

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Chris, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris Regular Member

This is something that I've seen and, to be honest, it annoys the hell out of me.

What are your thoughts on administrators giving themselves reputation and/or setting their reputation to one of the highest levels possible? By this, I quite literally mean adding undeserved points to their reputation by way of their administrative privileges.

2. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

=\ I think is ridiculous, stupid, supercilious, idiotic, moronic, childish and I can go on, but if you are going to gain rep I'd rather gain it because users do think I am helpful or that I apport to the site enough for them to recognize it by giving me reputation. It's also a nice way for the users to say thank you, so each rep point should be appreciated.

3. Michael

Michael Regular Member

It REALLY annoys me! It should be either earned or switched off for the admin :)

4. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

This is just dumb it's just a number. On my board I think I'm 5 or 6 down on the list of highest reps..If I was #1 on the list would I feel any better about myself? No, so what's the point? :D

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Absolutely. If you're not willing to earn rep. points in the correct and proper manner, don't bother using the system at all - seeing administrators do this is frustrating.

6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Ive seen forums where the mods if they dont really like you, edit your rep into the minuses :D

7. Chris

Chris Regular Member

That's just as bad. I don't think I've ever (personally) seen that done, but I can only imagine how frustrated I would be. :mad:

8. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Heck I have had my signature altered, argued in and allsorts :)

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I haven't had this problem with my staff; we don't really use the reputation system anyway.

10. MJB23

MJB23 Addict

This is pretty much how I feel.

11. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I can't say it really bothers me if an admin and/or a person in a high privileged position reps him/herself. I find it pathetic if they did, just to make themselves feel/look better about themselves and to others. Seems a little immature. It's the type of act a child would do.

Hey, look at me, I'm super duper swell and have a high rep score. It only makes the person look silly to others.

12. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Never seen this, other than on my test forum, where we play with everything. :)

13. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

what she ^ said. ;)

14. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I find it thoroughly amusing when a member begins to question an administrator's reputation status publicly. I just recently ran across a thread dedicated to this very scenario and the administrator's response was, "Oh... well, I just like to have some fun".

15. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

It should be the other way around, that the people who already have a good reputation become the admins. If you're making someone with a poor reputation into an admin, you might find them apt to abuse their powers like that.

16. Nick

Nick Regular Member

This is pretty dumb, as everybody has mentioned, but I've never seen it done (well I guess I wouldn't know if I have or not :lol:).

But as Shelley said, it's purely childish but fairly pointless. Nobody bases anything important off of reputation anyways.

17. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Never seen this happen before. I wouldn't do that for myself, I just find reputation to mean nothing. Sure it could mean that the person makes quality and informative posts, but am I really sure of that? No, I'm not. It's just eye candy. :)

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Good point. Even if somebody has 10 reputation bars, I still want to get a "feel" for their legitimacy on my own through observation.

19. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I have never seen it done. I think it's entirely pointless to do so.

20. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Generally, these individuals "admit" to giving themselves excess amounts of reputation - it's rather intriguing. I've seen this done a few times and, as expected, it is not well-received by the community.