Additional Positions

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, May 20, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

In addition to the usual Administrator and Moderator positions, do you have any others? Perhaps Advisers or Mentors?

On my forum we have Helpers; each Helper helps with different aspects of the site. We have one who manages the Member of the Month, one who manages the Noble Perch Prize (a weekly award passed amongst the members), and what is supposed to be a small team of Helpers to operate the Blog (which used to be a monthly Newsletter - a great one, at that).

I'm curious to know what other positions you have.

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

In addition to administrators and moderators, we have support reps. and account managers. As we are an extremely active web host, having such positions has proven to be invaluable.

3. plazzman

plazzman Adept

We used to have "Divisional Mods" and they were assigned to one specific section.

We also have "Writer" positions, and they write on the front page.

4. lordtopcat

lordtopcat Adept

First Name:
    Jamie
    On a forum I tried to split the admin job. I had 'Technical Admins' 'Member Support Admins' and 'Forum Admins'

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Quite a variety of administrative positions there. ;)

6. lordtopcat

lordtopcat Adept

First Name:
    Jamie
    Yeah, It didn't work out very well, Lol. Although aside from a Normal Admin I did still have a Technical Admin position.

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

LTC, how did it work out? You said not very well, but what were some of the undesirable effects?

8. lordtopcat

lordtopcat Adept

First Name:
    Jamie
    Some users were getting confused. They weren't sure who they should ask if they had a problem, the admins themselves weren't sure what tasks they were meant to be doing, and what tasks they weren't meant to be. In the end I decided it was just easier to pull all the groups into one and work as a team.

9. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    On my own forums (that I created), I usually give myself my own group. It may be named "Founder" or something of the like. Then, if I do decide to have other admin (which hasn't always been something I've done - most of my previous forums were solo), they will be "Administrator". I will always have "Super Moderator" and depending on the forum I may have "Moderator". A few times I have used groups for senior members, the ones that contribute to the site enough to stand out, but aren't quite moderators. And again, depending on the forum I may or may not have some other kind of support group - not necessarily a group to moderate the actual posts, but still part of the staff. Once again, depending on the forum, I may spice up the names a little bit.

10. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

We have a "welcoming committee" group which posts on the profiles and 'welcome' threads for new members :D

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I've considered this before. How well has it worked out? Do they feel like slaves? :p

12. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

These are Disney fans you're talking about! :)

They LOVE welcoming folks to our family of online Disney nuts. I personally went to each new member and added a profile comment (until installing Michael Biddle's auto-profile post mod) welcoming them as well!

It's worked out great....the folks that stay and participate on the site feel that we are the friendliest Disney site out there. And, that's saying something! :thumbup:

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

LOL, I assumed we were talking about Disney fans. I was just curious, because they may think it's just a side job - doing your dirty work for you. :p
    It's just a natural tendency of people's minds.

Anyway, I'm glad it works out for you. I'm blessed and have moderators that do this automatically. It's a true sign of a wonderful and tight-knit community.

14. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    You can say that again! :)

15. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

Not exactly - I don't have any formal positions beyond Management and Security Guards (Admins and Mods, respectively), but I do recognize users who have won RCTgo's Featured Coaster Competition through a gold username and group image.

16. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Arny, that's a fantastic idea - I may consider creating such a group for one of my forums!

17. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Glad that you like it Chris! :)

18. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I've considered doing so in the past, but I never actually got around to doing so - priorities! :D

19. Tom

Tom Regular Member

We have Donors, if that counts.

20. doodles

doodles Adept

First Name:
    Lisa
    We have the same. Six support team members that do the same sort of thing. Seems to be working well for us plus they got some perks too.

We didn't want mods straight away and we really wanted these guys to come across from another forum:rolleyes: as they are helpful, knowledgeable, polite so I had the idea of a support team who will then progress to mods when the positions arise.