24 hour Stand Down on all Passionate vB Topics?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Anonymous, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Novice

As the title says.

Just a thought b/c sometimes just....walking away will do more good then bad.

:D

2. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

There is no practical way to have a moratorium on a topic. I'll PM the staff more thoughts.

3. David

David Regular Member

Meh, its there for users to debate.

If it were to be shut down for 24 hours then whats the point of having it.

It should be up to the user show self control and walk away from a heated subject.

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Agreed. It would render that forum useless.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

It is already.

2 people like this.
  6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Well not really considering it keeps all of the heated vb discussion out of the way of the other forums so the real admin type discussions can be found without the big vb issues getting in the way of AA's proper admin discussion.

7. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I know how this would be handled on my forum, how about you fine people?

8. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Not really keeping it away, people still post 'I hate vB' all over certain threads encountered.

My site:
    I really prefer my site to have actual discussions, if you hate an anime, fine, say why you hate it, don't make 3,001 threads of the same thing over and over again, it's redundant. Other people do like the anime, posting once that you don't like it, it's enough. Do you think that posting 'This anime sucks' would make the creators re-make it again?

Nope.

2 people like this.
  9. Michael

Michael Regular Member

All AA could really do then is infract people who dont post this content within the correct threads and add a rule about it. Im sure they added that forum to help keep it under control without them seeming arseholes for preventing them to post their comments elsewhere.

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Yeah, IMO it was a good way to start, but it's really gotten out of control. =\

11. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

No kidding!

I had a nice post ready to go into the thread that was closed. I was attempting to calm the stang guy down but clearly he was beyond hope by the time I clicked on submit.

This could be any topic in the world, it basically comes down to a few really pissed off people, 1 ok person that is a bit confused, and 1 ever present troll who pretends to be nice (sorta) and hangs around until they pounce on something. It is a classic combination.

2 people like this.
  12. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Isnt there an ignore feature in vbulletin, maybe add these users to your ignore list and you wont see their threads and posts. Thats all I can think of without an admin intervening.

13. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

A mod intervened (once) a few minutes ago.

Then tomorrow there will be cries of censorship because someone was not allowed to scream 4 letter words at a respected established member of this site.

14. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I'd like to read my posts with out having to 'click to view posts' because I've put a person on ignore.

One thing that (imo) has to be kept in mind that people who are administrators are basically leaders, so I guess it's a 'harder' crowd to control. We usually have our own sites and we have the 'control' so to speak. There is really a limit for everything. No one is happy, but no one is willing?

I find it very funny how Nick was praised, not long ago, yet he says to stop one thing and all of the sudden he is siding with vB/IB. I really don't understand why people said that nor do I understand the sudden change of heart. Makes me wonder if people are really thinking what they're posting before they post or actually know what they are fighting for anymore?

15. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    The increasing frequency of posts with very small time increments between them combined with the degradation of decorum proved that though had flown the coop.

16. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Can you dumb it down for me? XD

17. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Yeah, that thread was getting awfully personal. I didnt see what the problem actually was other than people simply not wanting to hear about vb4 and IB, till reading the end of that thread there.

18. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Is it really a problem that people are tired of these vB4 topics??

In my opinion, AA has really stopped being 'an admin' resource and started being 'the place where people mad @ vB/IB go'. I prefer having to read Ak Worm saying how he thought my review was an insult to his site and all the silliness that went around which made the place FUN, I want the awesome people I met here to show their fun side, but no...it's all vB and srs bzznezz.

19. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Well, not that I want to plug myself, but I usually make a joke for everything on some forums I go on. I just don't here because I'm a Boss, I comb my posts with fine sophistication of a digital platinum comb studded with precious gems.

20. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

But we knew that was going to happen when the 'the register' article came out referencing AA. And because it was a nice place to hang out Wayne visited, which I believe is part of the reason Ray may have said hello, which also brought people.

The real question is, what will happen in the future, tomorrow. I like your approach. Clearly state the opinion either good or bad and not keep harping on it.