vBulletin.com / vBulletin.org Hacked

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by BamaStangGuy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Big al

Big al Regular Member

A weak explanation on his website by BirdOPrey5. Staff member for VB.

Following BirdOPrey5 allowing a known hacker to impersonate me using my stolen photograph in violation of his own rules and post altered copies of my posts taken from here. Joe decided to try to explain the incompetence of VB and the support staff.

True to form he blames the customers yet again.
    I find it abhorrent that such Vb support staff like Mark B /Paul M and Joe D, Can only come up with absolute misleading utter crap, instead of setting the record straight and telling us exactly what is going on.

When faced with questions of genuine concern by their CUSTOMERS they can only hide or if pushed come up with total bullshit.

Such is the measure of these so called "stand up guys"

2. Big al

Big al Regular Member

:rolleyes:

SERIOUSLY dude? You SERIOUSLY telling us that these well known hackers were just hacking out of the kindness of their hearts!!!!

What sterling guys. What unselfishness. What UTTER BULLSHIT from a VB staff member.

Honestly Joe just what medication are you taking ?

Joe why not tell the truth about the Ukraine, Russian and Romanian hackers and their pals and what they are really doing?

Cone on Joe, you feel the need to post about these things, tell us about how kind and considerate the inhabitants of places like Yoshkar-Ola. Republic Mari-El, Russia are, who are known as a town of dating scammers. or the Romanian town of hackers, Râmnicu Vâlcea that has only about 120,000 residents, but among law enforcement experts around the world, it has a nickname: Hackerville.

Tell us all again about how these hackers are so benevolent that they only hack to warn webmasters.
    But then you are supporting known hackers yourself, despite the damage and heartache that they leave behind them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. Caddyman

Caddyman engiwebmastechanic

FWIW, at one time, a year or so ago, my vB sites were hacked by middle eastern hackers that simply put a "hacked by xxxx" on the frontpage and left everything intact.

And that DID prompt me to take security a bit more seriously.

I have actually seen this on a few other sites (other scripts, wodpress, joomla) that I have built as well. Made me learn real fast all about securing various applications online.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  4. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

I had the impression they took the whole week off, well DUH!!!!! :sleep::whistle:

Big al likes this.
  5. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Hahaha.....let's first define embarrassment.

Socially unacceptable acts? Loss of honor or dignity? Riiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttt!

So I have to ask. For whom exactly is this supposed successful hacking of IB servers possibly embarrassing? :rolleyes:

Scott

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. dandanch

dandanch Regular Member

something happen, we had to reset are passwords over at vb.com and vb.org

Big al likes this.
  7. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

From vBull newsletter
    Yup they got hacked.

Big al likes this.
  8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    A lot of good that does after that have the password. O.o
    Wonder how many users use the same password on vb.com that they do on their own sites or other forums.
    Do a google search for "username" and you can quickly find other sites that use may be part of.
    Ouch...
    :dead:

Big al likes this.
  9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I'm glad I'm no longer a vBulletin 4 user anymore. This is ridiculous. It's quite possible that a lot of people are using the same passwords. It happens a lot.

Big al likes this.
  10. dandanch

dandanch Regular Member

I use different passwords, and so I don't forget them I place them on a few external hard drives.

Big al likes this.
  11. Ludwig

Ludwig Regular Member

Un-f*cking-real. I just finished yesterday converting my main forum to xenForo (from vB4); it couldn't had happened at a better time! I feel bad for those people who can't or don't want to convert to something else, for whatever reasons, I don't see the situation getting better at IB/vB anytime soon. I wish them well though.

So vBcom admins don't follow the recommended security procedures and they just don't care so they had it coming? I'm sure that's not the case, so staff members like that and other die-hard vBulletin defenders who put the blame on admins when their sites get hacked should really keep quiet and focus on the root of the problem: shitty coding and/or bad QA; not to mention how incredibly slow whoever is in charge is to address these issues.

Don't be surprised if a week from now we are let known that a security exploit has been discovered and they're releasing a patch to fix it. And of course, whoever gets hacked from here until then will be an irresponsible admin for not jumping into the future to grab that fix.

Autopilot, Big al and Brandon like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Regular Member

vB recommend this ... "Protecting the admincp with IP address or .htaccess authorization"

How is this done ????

13. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Autopilot, Terry and Brandon like this.
  14. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I think they mean move to xenForo!

Autopilot likes this.
  15. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

The best way to protect against your vBOOM being hacked is NOT TO USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! With all their EGG SPER TEASE they couldn't and can't prevent further exploits.

Big al likes this.
  16. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

Well at least they put something out about it.

Granted, I doubt we ever find out the extent of the hack, but it was proper of them to force people to update their passwords.

17. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Unbelievable. They have to be dragged out into the light kicking and screaming just to admit what we all knew!

Posts deleted, threads locked, customers insulted yet again and all the while the truth was obvious.

Tell me, are these morons really staff members on VB! Do some of them actually get paid to act like imbeciles.

18. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Confirmed compromise. Paul M can go [****][****][****][****] himself. Both vB.com and .Org databases compromised.

@Paul M should be fired from his job at vBulletin for the way he conducted himself on TheAdminZone.com by revealing a security compromise as if it was just a joke.

I'm sick of his attitude toward customers.

Terry and Big al like this.
  19. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Just got the email

They take my security and privacy so seriously they let @Paul M reveal their security exploits. Bob Brisco is a joke.

Terry, Big al and Brandon like this.
  20. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon